Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I forgot to mention. I am the operations manager of the data science club at my school for the past year and a half. What do you mean disadvantage?

Disadvantage = had to overcome economic or other hardships.

California applicant (above your post) worked 20-25 hrs and volunteered a lot. Didn’t see much leadership there either.

I believe you’ll get into Purdue due to strong grades and test score at top end of OOS range (75th %ile).

I think it’s good they have been keeping tuition frozen, kudos to Mitch on that. However, some of it is a bit sneaky imo, because instead there are “additional fees” for certain programs. From tuition and fees on their website: “Some programs have additional fees: Computer Science - $2,050, Data Science - $2,050, Engineering - $2,050, Agricultural and Biological Engineering - $2,050, Management - $1,436, Purdue Polytechnic - $572”

They can just keep raising those additional fees and uphold the statement that tuition is still under $10k for instate students and whatever for international and oos.

Then, the overcrowding dorms play a role with how they can keep tuition lower because it stems from over enrollment.

We’re on year four of paying tuition at Purdue and the engineering fees haven’t increased.

Our COA actually went down between my D’s freshman and sophomore year because she chose a less expensive dorm.

1 Like

Have you looked at the Purdue Data Digest, here, https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/, to compare your stats to engineering students from previous admission cycles? Some of the information under “Applications, Admits, and Matriculations,” and “New First-Time Beginner Profile,” might help give you some perspective.

Many, if not most, schools have these kinds of “additional fees” – I know that our local public university does.

1 Like

This is exactly how I read it, as well.

1 Like

I understand that, what I meant was they could just keep raising the additional fees and still tout that their base tuition is frozen. Doesn’t mean it will happen but that is a loophole. If they ever feel the need to raise costs but don’t want to lose the praise they have gotten for having tuition frozen, all they have to do is raise the additional fees.

The university is on year 11 of a tuition and R&B freeze. If they were inclined to play games like that, they would have already done so.

1 Like

I think the issue is that we are seeing a drop-off in males going to college. This has been a trend for a while. Honestly, I’m not sure it’s a bad thing as many of the students are going to trade schools instead of getting a degree that adds to debt burden without offering job prospects to match the burden.

2 Likes

Technically, they have already started playing games. I think (in my opinion, which may or may not be wrong as it’s an opinion) that they are on the brink of having to raise it. Mitch Daniels won’t do it directly, but he’s crafty with finding other ways to conserve money. Think about alllll the over enrollment and insane amount of students that were crowded in their dorms. There also are articles about how they underpay their employees.

So you sound like you have a bias against Mitch Daniels. What I would ask you to review is the massive tuition increases over the past 20 years (on average for all schools). Now look at Professor pay
it doesn’t match. Where did the money go? Most of it went to increasing administrations. As a tax-payer and payer of college tuition, I see the good Mitch Daniels is doing. If you don’t, and that is well within your right, you should probably not attend Purdue.

8 Likes

Bringing up problems that has allowed Mitch Daniels to keep tuition frozen does not equate to bias against Mitch Daniels. You can criticize someone and still respect them. I don’t blindly follow and praise particular notable figures. All I’m saying is that it isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

With the flat tuition, there is SOMETHING somewhere that has been cheapened. As we have inflation, universities have to respond to it. Purdue just cuts the cost in other areas that are seemingly un-noticeable. I would rather pay $500 more as a freshmen to not be in an overcrowded converted dorm room for a month if it includes increasing tuition.

There are reasons why Purdue has been able to maintain frozen tuition and not all of their actions have been favorable to students. The primary thing is the dorms, spurred by a huge freshmen class that keeps increasing year to year.

It’s essentially a pick your poison: better living conditions and tuition increases, or flat tuition but corners are cut in many aspects to accommodate increased costs.

Anyone have any more specific intel when EA decisions will be released other than by January 15th?

1 Like

It’s 5 pm on the 15th. Won’t be before then.

Eastern^^

Jan 15 is a Saturday. Do they release decisions on a Saturday?

Deadlines & Dates - Undergraduate Admissions - Purdue University.

" Students who meet the Early Action deadline will have an admission decision on January 15."

Seems like it!

1 Like

Purdue has gotten creative - huge industry partnerships that pay for their new facilities, and buying Purdue Global and getting into online education, have been big money makers. Prof salaries have actually gone up.

The over enrollment last cycle was unplanned. I would bet that this year’s acceptance rate will be lower as a result. (That happened in '19 after a record class in '18). They have switched up how they prioritize housing for this year so that more freshmen can be accommodated.

Purdue isn’t the only university that has done a good job keeping costs low. UMD CP has a comparable tuition.

And for the record, no school is all sunshine and rainbows. Even those that are twice the COA.

4 Likes

I suppose the one thing with housing is if you are accepted into honors you’re for sure going to get good housing with the honors dorms! Won’t have to potentially get stuck with a makeshift dorm if that proves to be an issue.

I didn’t apply because if I end up attending I plan on rushing and would want to be in the dorms with most everyone else who’s doing recruitment, but I guess that’s a perk.

My D is in honors and the honors residences converted triples to quads when she was a freshman but she loved her roommates and it worked out well for her.

1 Like