Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

They did that with honors? Wow, I thought those were safe. Glad that worked out for her, not sure if I would have liked that situation if it was a random new roommate because I feel like I have bad luck! I’m going to try and find someone on the Instagram pages/Group Me’s for whatever college I pick, if they don’t randomly assign me to someone (I know Notre Dame does that…not sure where else! Sure there are plenty of others)

That’s such an informative website, Gandalf78. Thanks for sharing!!!

My son a freshman in the honors residences is doing this next year.

1 Like

I’m curious what this means.

That total bottom-line bill for all four years my daughter attended was unchanged.

Yes, there are additional fees. They have also been unchanged, so I fail to see how this is ”sneaky”.

I suppose they could. They haven’t for 10+ years. Worrying about what they theoretically could do, when they haven’t, seems like an odd thing to worry about.

2 Likes

My son’s district has a no weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale. All classes count.

They also have a weighted 5.0 scale that is for only core classes (math, science, English, social studies) and World Languages. On this scale, students in Honors and AP classes get a point bump, so you can go over a 5.0. A student earning a 94 in on-level government will earn 4.4 point, but a student taking AP government who earns a 94 will get 5.4 points. A 100 in an on-level class is worth 5.0 points, and a 100 in Honors or AP is with 6.0 points.

His district has six high schools, and 5 of the six use the weighted scale to determine class rank. His high school, however, doesn’t rank because it’s so competitive. So, he has a weighted GPA, but it doesn’t really do anything other than allow colleges to compare him against other students in his school district or state.

5 more days to go……

13 Likes

At this point, should I report mid year grades for EA? Just got this week, so I can add them to the portal. Is there any potential downside to doing this (will I be moved to RD or something)?

Certainly no downside to sending them, other than your effort, though they almost certainly won’t be factored into an EA decision coming out on Saturday.

It may make sense to wait until those come out, rather than wasting the effort. Send them if deferred to RD.

2 Likes

Yeah, just thinking it might be a good idea for me to send personally since I have a grade included for a class that I technically didn’t report on my schedule to them. Don’t think it should make a huge difference to admissions (the “class” is equivalent to a study hall, but is listed on my transcript with a “participation” grade, which had not been the case for the last couple years due to COVID but a grade was included this year).

The decision coming on Saturday is on the application you have already submitted. I would not feel rushed to add the mid-year grades as if they would make a difference to that decision. In fact, most people’s decisions on their applications have already been made at this point.

Once you view your decision Saturday, then submit them if you need to. Whether you are deferred, or accepted, they will want them.

As a reference, some students are not yet to mid-year. Here, students still have a couple weeks left of the semester.

It must be difficult for university admission committees to wade through all the differentiations from one school to another. Everyone states their stats, but everyone’s education opportunities are different AND the pandemic has been very different from one place to another, on top of that. These feeds can be stressful just by someone reading and comparing themselves to an apple when they are an orange.

3 Likes

3 more days!!!

2 Likes

S22 submitted senior year grades just before the new year since he had As in AP-Physics and AP-CS. No idea if it made any difference but I see no harm in submitting new info. Either way, we’ll know this weekend.

1 Like

did anyone get into purdue test optional for engineering last year ?

I have been wondering the same. I have reviewed last years acceptance threads and I believe there were acceptances without test scores. In the north east it has been extremely difficult last year and this year to sit for a ACT or SAT as they were normally cancelled a few days prior to the test. For my son we registered nine times across Mass, NH and even CT all of them were cancelled within a month prior of the actual test. I have read the same thing has been happening in parts of California as well.

1 Like

I recall there being acceptances without scores last year. I would expect that for students in areas like yours, admissions will continue to review/assess the application without the scores.

Where it gets murkier, is for students who did get to sit for their exam once and weren’t happy with the score. For those students the university does expect that scores will be submitted. Purdue is test flexible, not test optional.

1 Like

Yes, our area of CA was extremely hard to have sat an SAT or ACT prior to early applications.

Does anyone know if the Game Development and Design degree at Purdue Polytechnic is good or not?

It’s very good I believe. I’ve heard about it a few times and recognized its reputability but it would be better to get another opinion on it. Try to check their employability rankings, location, etc.

1 Like