Purdue or Virginia Tech?

<p>I was denied by Purdue Engineering but offered admittance for Pre- Environmental Studies. I know all about the internal transfer and don't think it would be too difficult to get into the College of Engineering, but it would push me a year behind. I was also accepted into Virginia Tech for Engineering, but I feel the resources just don't compare to those offered at Purdue. This decision is driving me crazy and I would really appreciate any input.</p>

<p>You should definitely come to Purdue. Virginia Tech is a cesspool of crime and evil; its degrees are regarded with undisguised contempt by all employers everywhere.</p>

<p>Very humorous.</p>

<p>Purdue would anyways push you a step forward in life, so don’t worry. Go with the Boilermakers.</p>

<p>As a Purdue Engineering student who loves going to Purdue, I would recommend going to Virgina Tech. After your first semester, you will need a minimum of a 2.8 to transfer to engineering, a 2.8 might sound easy but I know plenty under that, the average for first year engineering is a 2.6-2.7. After that you will be a semester behind, sure you can do it either way, but the safer bet would be going to Virgina Tech. Virgina Tech is nothing short of a great engineering school and as at every big state school you need to seek out opportunities. No one is going to spoon feed you at Purdue, the drop out rate of the Engineering program is 50%, which is a staggering number, 1 out of 2 of your peers you start out will not end up with a Purdue Engineering. This is just my personal advice, I was stuck in a similar situation between here and the University of Texas(only got into the college of arts and sciences at Texas)
I am not really sure why the resources are better at Purdue than Virgina Tech which I consider a peer school(at least for engineering)?</p>

<p>When I toured Virginia Tech it just didn’t seem to have anything that even compared to the Neil Armstrong Building and everything that it offered.</p>

<p>I’m in the same situation thank you for making this thread. I’m actually in state for v tech and not for Purdue. I havnt been accepted to v tech yet but I did get accepted to purdue engineering but just recently switched to the undecided major cause I’m not really sure what I want to do now. But v tech doesn’t seem to be on the same lvl as Purdue. I’m probably will choose Purdue it has an overall great reputation and purdue engineering is top 10 in the nation. There is def better job opportunities if u get a purdue degree. V tech in my opinion is horrible I took a tour last spring not what I expected from a university. They make it seem like they are top 10 engineering when they are only in the top 30.</p>

<p>i would suggest staying in engineering and switching after a semester, its a lot harder to switch into engineering than it is to switch out of it,</p>

<p>I already switched it was really easy I just had to call…I really didn’t want to fail first semester and flunk out. That is eat happened to my sister she was pre med but almost failed out she was on academic probation, I don’t want Tay to happen to me.</p>

<p>Sorry my I touch corrects the wrong things…eat =what and Tay=that sorry about tat lol</p>

<p>I am considering going to Purdue in USP and then transferring to first year engineering after a semester then going to Multidisciplinary Engineering, I just don’t want to go if I won’t be able to handle it.</p>

<p>My personal opinion is that as long as you study properly, you’ll be fine. From my experience, I’ve seen a lot of people drop out of engineering. The main factor I could see was that they simply didn’t want to study. </p>

<p>A lot of kids are used to easy high schools and they get rocked when they come into Purdue Engineering. They’re not used to studying at all; I’m not talking about pulling 3 all-nighters every week. These people wouldn’t even spend half an hour on their weekly math homeworks.</p>

<p>So basically, if you’re willing to study and put in the time and effort, you’ll be fine. </p>

<p>Also, yes there have been plenty of people who couldn’t get the 2.8 required to transfer into engineering. But there have also been plenty of people who have done really well and transferred in without any problems.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot. I was definitely leaning towards Tech, but this really is making me rethink Purdue. The true question for me comes down to where I will find success, and I am worried if I would be able to at Purdue.</p>

<p>What is with this 2.8 stuff? On the engineering website, it has the list of required first year gpas for admission to the specific major. </p>

<p><a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/Announcements/FYEPlan[/url]”>https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/Announcements/FYEPlan&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>at the bottom</p>

<p>The 2.8 is the requirement for 3 classes needed to transfer into engineering from a different major.</p>

<p>Oh ok so since I was admitted to the FYE program then all I have to worry about is the gpas for admission to the specific schools</p>