Purdue Scholars Day

<p>Like many of you, I never received an official admittance email (although I was admitted), but I did receive this:</p>

<p>"Dear XXXXXX,</p>

<p>Purdue University recognizes your outstanding academic achievements and would like to invite you and two family members to campus for a special day to honor you. </p>

<p>Join us on Saturday, January 15, 2011, for Purdue Scholars Day! The program features a full day of activities with registration beginning at 8:15 a.m. Eastern Time. </p>

<p>This invitation-only event will allow you to: </p>

<p>Explore the exceptional academic opportunities available to students of your caliber
Meet faculty and current students to get a first-hand perspective of the undergraduate experience at Purdue
Tour our West Lafayette campus
Enjoy performances by the Purdue pep bands and Purduettes
Go home with some new Purdue gear and the knowledge you need to make a well-informed decision about pursuing a degree from Purdue University.
Watch for a formal invitation next week. However, you can register online now and make plans to join us for Purdue Scholars Day 2011!"</p>

<p>Does anyone know the importance of attending? I live in the PNW. It would be about a $800 trip if one parent attends with me. Do you think it indicates interest and that's what the trustee and presidential scholarships are based? </p>

<p>FWIW, I attended an engineering program this summer at Purdue, so I have a good feel of the campus. </p>

<p>Thanks for any thoughts.</p>

<p>I got this email as well. I’m wondering if there is any benefit to attending.</p>

<p>My daughter is in her first year at Purdue- Engineering Major</p>

<p>She was invited last year ,but ,did not attend as we reside OOS, due to cost.</p>

<p>My daughter still received a Presidential Scholarship.</p>

<p>Does anybody know the stats that you need to be invited to Scholars day? What are the stats of those of you who were invited?</p>

<p>3.6 UW GPA
33 ACT
OOS
Career oriented EC’s</p>

<p>My son also got this…
3.8 UW
4.2 W
Act 33
Rank 46 out of 860
OOS</p>

<p>High School GPA 3.99 UW
College GPA 4.00 (dual-enrolled and will have 101 units by June)
ACT 34
SAT 2230
OOS</p>

<p>Thank you, 1811X2, for your response. It was very helpful.</p>

<p>Interesting to see the statistics. Our son was admitted to Engineering but did not receive an invitation to Scholars Day.</p>

<p>34 ACT/2110 SAT/780 Math SAT II/760 Chemistry SAT II
3.98 UW/4.5 weighted
3/408 class rank
OOS</p>

<p>If you decide to attend Purdue, it will be in your best interest to go in person to register for your classes/program, Spring/Summer 2011, basically there one overnight day.</p>

<p>Also, Boiler Gold Rush is a good program, my daughter got a lot out of it.</p>

<p>Best of Luck with your decision, as my daughter can attest to, even though she is doing very well, it is an arduous, weeding out program freshman year- you will be challenged.</p>

<p>Don’t mean to be obnoxious, but my daughter has better stats than the three Scholars Day invitees who posted above, and hasn’t received an invitation. Anybody else in that boat? We’re hoping it they just might not have gotten around to sending her invitation yet, since she didn’t apply until Nov 10. Any thoughts?
Don’t know if she would attend, because we live pretty far away, but it would be nice to have the option.</p>

<p>Hi… I was in a Purdue Chat with admission yesterday and someone asked about this and was surprised based on the stats why his son did not get an email and they said some majors like Engineering is more competitive then other majors. Was she Engineering? My Son Applied on Nov 15th and got the email.</p>

<p>Yes, she’s engineering. I wonder how many kids they invite to Scholars’ Day. I really thought she’d be a top applicant at Purdue - 2340 SAT, 4.0 UW, lots of APs, engineering internship, good EC’s. I wonder if I should call Admissions? Hate to call them, though, and then decide not to go to Scholar’s Day because of expense.</p>

<p>That is awesome Stats she has. She will still get a Merit Scholarship even if she does not go to scholar day…</p>

<p>My son got the invitation via email on Sat 12/11.
GPA = 4.0 UW
SAT = 1550/2260.
Rank = 1/370
Took all AP classes available.
National Merit Semifinalist
EC = Track, X-country, music, academic competitions<br>
Indiana resident.
Planned Major = Physics</p>

<p>If anybody knows more about Scholars Day, information would be appreciated, like-
What are the advantages of attending (we have visited twice already)?
What will we learn that we did not learn on previous visits and tours?
How many kids typically attend (assuming this is not a first for Purdue)?</p>