***Purdue University: Class of 2023 Discussion/Decision Thread***

@Kajaet I don’t know what L&S is but Computer Science @ College of Science is the main one, don’t worry :slight_smile:

Does anybody know how to request a change of major from exploratory studies to engineering (civil engineering). My first choice was mechanical, which I did not get they gave me the second choice which was exploratory. Any idea how to request Civil engineering now? Can I do it from the portal and also do I need to contact the admissions office? Any advise is highly appreciated.

S19 accepted to Exploratory Studies
OOS (CA)
SAT: 1330
UW gpa: 3.8

My son got deferred from his second choice major. No word on the first choice. Does it mean he was denied for his first choice?

@AAA124555 Purdue doesn’t admit to engineering major, just to the college of engineering for FYE (First Year Engineering) so there is no difference between mech e and civil at this point. Purdue engineering students transition to their major at the end of second semester freshman year. My understanding is that exploratory studies students can CODO (change of degree objectives) after first semester. It’s GPA and space dependent.

@momtomusicians @gingytx @mwoody999 thanks for your kind words. Still reeling a bit from the disappointment, but recovered enough to be able to congratulate everyone who got in.

@momtomusicians not sure about the yield angle. I thought my visiting the campus and spending a day talking through the 2 majors (Comp sci & comp eng) with the recruitment officers would have given them a pretty good idea of my level of interest.

Anyway, I don’t want to derail the thread anymore with my gloomy posts! Oh, and for those tracking it, I had the empty “Reply Forms” tab from early this morning. So for those looking from the future, hope you all never see that tab :slight_smile:

DJ out.

Daughter got accepted in CS/College of Science
OOS
3.8 UGPA
1560 SAT
Good ECs and essays

Congratulations to everyone else who got in !

Son got accepted to College of Engineering
OOS (MA)
ACT: 35
GPA: 3.52 UW / 4.28 W

Got into second choice (electrical engineering technology)-- first choice was engineering. OOS. 1320 sat. 3.7uw/3.91w gpa. 5 APs : Ap econ, ap calc ab, ap chem, ap physics c:mech, ap lang. 7 honors&DE. Pretty good essays. pretty good rec letters. Congrats to all :slight_smile: this was my first college acceptance so i’m pretty thrilled

Thanks a lot for sharing

Where do you really want to go if not Purdue?

Admitted to FYE
34 ACT
No Legacy
National Merit Finalist
In State
Multiple academic teams
Theatre Tech
Baseball Player (not playing in college)
Not anticipating financial aid from Purdue
Merit Scholarships not given for Engineering from info I have obtained. Needs based aid not sent out yet, but still do not anticipate any aid. In state tuition is very reasonable though. Also considering Case Western.

My son got accepted in the data science program. Is this considered a good program? I am told this is pretty similar to Computer Science.

Son rejected for CS. 4.3 weighted gpa - SAT 1290 - excellent ECs, work experience, and essays. OOS (MA). Has been accepted to his 1st choice for CS - UMass Amherst and really happy about that! But still disappointing to be rejected I guess. (I do wish some schools wouldn’t use standardized tests as such an important indicator of future success). Good luck to everyone :slight_smile:

Accepted Engineering FYE
OOS
4.0875GPA
ACT 29
Choir, Theatre, Key Club ,Computer Science Club, Varsity cheer 4 years
4 AP classes including AP Computer Science and dual credit
Full time job as manager for 3 years
Graduated from Highlight competitive high school
Undecided between Ohio State , Virginia Tech, Purdue although Ohio state offered 4 year Merit Scholarship full tuition

@lovepurdue I was admitted to Data Science with 1500 SAT, 750 SAT II Physics, 800 SAT II Math, 4.54 W, 3.6 UW, 9 APs

@harekrishna Yes, it is very similar to computer science, but with more statistics classes

I am a bit surprised that my son wasn’t admitted at least to his second choice major, English, considering he got a 35 on both the English and Reading sections of the ACT, took English AP, and got his rec letter from his English teacher. That, plus he’s been admitted to schools with higher overall admissions profiles like Tulane and Ohio State. But as we’ve discovered during the application process it’s difficult to predict admissions decisions. We thought originally that it was silly to apply to 11 schools, but in hindsight it was the absolutely right approach due to the uncertainty of the process.

@2019Engineering have you heard back from Vtech already?

Is anyone here having trouble registering for admitted student visits?

Accepted into Animal Science! with a 1310 SAT and a 3.812 cumulative GPA