***Purdue University: Class of 2023 Discussion/Decision Thread***

I was accepted for my second choice major in the Polytechnic Institute at Purdue! I am just wondering, would I be able to double major with any engineering majors, or would I be able to switch my major to an engineering major?

Has anyone else not got their decision yet? I met the early action decision and still haven’t got my decision back from the admissions office.

Accepted for FYE
State: OOS
GPA 4.00 (UW) 4.273 (W)
Class Rank: (top 1% of 495 students)
SAT: 1440
ACT: 31
Congratulations to those who got in!

accepted Engineering FYE
OOS
96ish GPA (schools goes out of 100)
ACT 34
Competitive skier + sectional competitor, competitive sailor, mu alpha theta, NHS(officer), world language honors society, united way club(founding member +officer), FIRST robotics (founding member +officer), 10 years of piano, lots of community service(run my own project)
will graduate with 13 AP classes
Lifeguard + internship over the summer

same here. no decision in portal or mail.

Be careful! Admitted letter is very clear that it is difficult to switch majors at Purdue and that if you are not in FYE, nearly impossible to get into Engineering. Even FYE have less than 50% chance of getting their first choice Engineering area. So be careful.

We also have not heard. Frustrating.

D got accepted into 2nd choice major. Has been admitted to other (even higher profile) schools for 1st choice major, so Purdue just moved down the list for her.

My son was not accepted (rejected just seems so harsh!)
He applied for Engineering (computer).
OOS
GPA 3.5
SAT 1530
SATII Math 2: 800 Chem 780.
doubled up on science classes, so graduating with 7.
5 APs.
ECs and Recs would be decent, I think.
He is disappointed. We thought he’d get in. He was very excited about Purdue.

Regarding this comment #445:

“Be careful! Admitted letter is very clear that it is difficult to switch majors at Purdue and that if you are not in FYE, nearly impossible to get into Engineering. Even FYE have less than 50% chance of getting their first choice Engineering area. So be careful.”

When we toured Purdue in the spring we asked a lot of questions about the chances of getting into your first choice engineering major. My daughter was told as long as she had a certain GPA, she would have around a 95% chance of getting her first choice major. The GPA requirement was high, but not impossibly so. I hope this is correct information. She was directly admitted into her specific major at all of her other schools so if we think she won’t get it at Purdue, this would probably affect her decision to attend.

Son got in - 1510 with good essays - we are international- realized in this admission process how much lottery life is and feel for all kids and their dreams - hope everyone gets their journey - God Bless

AAEmom, you have to go into the portal and check the acceptance letter and it should say which major/school

This is so weird, my portal still hasn’t updated but I already have the acceptance e-mail. Has this happened to anyone else?

DS accepted to Marketing in School of Management
1310 SAT, 3.6 unweighted at very competitive boarding school, athlete and some leadership positions.

@mexusa How hard would it be to double major with an engineering major if your major is in the Polytechnic School?

@sunnryz “My daughter was told as long as she had a certain GPA, she would have around a 95% chance of getting her first choice major.” Does this only apply if your daughter was admitted to the engineering school, or does it also apply if you were not admitted for engineering?

@blazinamazin2023 - It applied to kids admitted to the College of Engineering. They did say the chances of transferring into engineering from another major was very slim. We found that to be the case at all the schools she applied to unfortunately.

@sunnryz Makes sense. Do you know the chances of being able to double major in engineering when your primary major is not in the school of engineering?

@blazinamazin2023 I’m sorry I don’t. I wasn’t even aware you could do that. Although my cousin was a double major in engineering and music at Valpo, but I believe he was primarily admitted into the college of engineering there and added the music major later. So maybe it’s possible to go the other way at a school, but I’d certainly check with academic advisors! Good luck!

if you didn’t get your first choice, did your letter even mention it? My son’s deferred from his second choice major and no mention at all of first choice (CS). Oh well. If they don’t want him, many other schools did.