***Purdue University: Class of 2023 Discussion/Decision Thread***

@mexusa - according to Purdue College of Engineering last year 90% of the students got their 1st choice engineering major after FYE. You can watch this “Engineering Live - Applying to Purdue” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5L5Z74PGHo

Accepted First Year Engineering!!
OOS
SAT: 1410
UW GPA: 4.0
good ECs and solid essays (I think)
Congrats to everyone accepted!

Where do you find your decision? I don’t see anything!

Accepted to FYE!
In-state
SAT : 1420
ACT : 32
UW: 3.75

@MidnightSun257 Early Action decisions came out today at around 4-5 pm eastern time. Decisions were posted on the applicant portal, however, I received my acceptance via e-mail. So if you applied EA then you might want to check the portal or your e-mail.

@sunnryz For the reason you mentioned, you don’t have guarantee of branch of engineering you want - I didn’t like Purdue way of admitting into engineering. Of course, there are some other schools like that too. Not only GPA, but also Engineering admission index(recalculated GPA for the branch based on courses taken) are considered at Purdue - Not that it’s impossible but one has to take into consideration. I like UIUC or Rutgers where you join with a guaranteed specialization, which of course you have a choice to change too! I like the latter choice.

@CS_Parent What you advised about learning from college is so true. I am in similar boat too. I got admission into Rutgers- in state in COE as well as CS(nice, I can apply to both unlike Purdue), which is less costly. But I am also torn about getting into colleges of prestige which I know is expensive. I am graduating from high competitive high school and a lot of my classmates with less credentials got into Rutgers. I know Rutgers is good college in engineering. Since you said you are from HR,Is there significant difference in pay between colleges like Electrical or CS under top 50 or top 70 colleges? Will it matter if I pursue Masters?

DD got email congratulated her for admission in the subject field. She was caught off guard since was looking to log into portal for decision like other colleges’ practice. DD is OOS. Mechanical Engr. 1510 SAT, 4.0 UW.

Is it even worth it to go to Purdue for second major (polytechnic institute) and try to transfer into CoE? Say if I got into Pitt engineering, a lower tier school, would it be more advantageous to just go to pitt? (Obviously pitt is still a great school)

@BetaBaggins From what I’ve heard, it’s very difficult to transfer into the CoE at Purdue. They tend to over admit with the understanding that some first years will drop out because of the course rigour, so that aren’t that many spots to begin with. If you want engineering and you have it at Pitt, I would take it rather than the relatively high risk of not being able to laterally transfer into the CoE at Purdue.

@momofsenior1 thank you very much for your advise. Quick question is it really worth to risk for Exploratory studies at Purdue when my son has other good schools like Texas A&M, Colorado school of mines, MSU, Wisconsin all actually intended for mechanical engineering? Your advise is highly appreciated.

To all the people who have not gotten their decisions

I contacted Purdue today and they told me that even if you submit your application by Nov 1, you are considered for RD if your application checklist was completed AFTER November 1. If you did not get your decision, chances are that your application checklist was completed after Nov 1 and you are pushed down to RD

got Admit today to CS
OOS, ACT:33, Phy/Math: 800/800 IB School (6s, 7s)
Good essay, ECs and summer internship

DS Accepted
Engineering
OOS/CA

Daughter accepted in Transdisciplinary Studies in Technology, a new major or self design major. She is interested in game design, animation, film, computer science, and creative writing. OOS. WGPA 4.5. SAT 1420.

@Watch37 Looks like Purdue is rejecting all students who got high SAT / ACT and Good GPA’s they probably know students are using them as a safety school. Its not fair.

@Tessamom Its not fair they are of the opinion high caliber students wont attend any way and hence rejecting so their numbers look good. My son got rejected and none from his school ( WA ) got in with 1500 plus SAT and GPA above the roof.

@AAA124555 Texas A&M is an excellent Engineering school as I am sure are the others. If he has already been admitted there and finance is not the issue, I would go to TAMU. Good Luck!

Many kids with high stats did get in (and some did not). Purdue states that it looks at applications holistically - including essays, ECs, letters of recc, etc. It is not simply based upon statistics (although that is obviously an important part).
One thing to keep in mind is that Purdue has a reputation as a really tough school (math and science courses can be killer). I’ve always heard (and it has played out with kids that I know of who applied) that Purdue also really considers strength of high school schedule. I am sure it isn’t the case with all of the high stats kids that didn’t get in, but I have seen kids with slightly lower stats but really challenging schedules get in to tough majors (CS, and FYE specifically) over kids with higher stats who are taking easier classes. My son is an FYE there now, and I can tell you that taking the tough high school courses really helped prepare him for his Purdue classes.

Anyone accepted for mathematics yet?not early decision here but wanted to see and know how the scores and gpa of people who got in are.