***Purdue University: Class of 2023 Discussion/Decision Thread***

@TerrisAdAstra I believe from our campus visit that Computer Science is even more competitve than Engineering even though most think Engineering is. Just saying…

If you applied EA, when will you hear back?

@uconn20 Around January 15th.

CS had a lower acceptance rate than engineer last year but both are much more competitive than the overall school stats.

@momofsenior1 Do you happen to know the exact percentages?

I’m sorry @2km2km I do not. I do remember reading a thread here on CC that someone saw a poster in the CS department that suggested a 30% acceptance rate.

@2km2km it is 28% for Fall 2018. this is per Purdue poster in the CS building I personally have a photo of it from October 2018.

Poster says:
Did you know?

4500+ applicants for Fall 2018
330 incoming freshman
28% admit rate
1800+ total CS population

Track population:
Undergraduate students enter tracks after completing core CS coursework. 808 students are currently registered for a track.
Computational science and engineering: (I cant see in photo)
Computer graphics and visualization: 41
Data and information systems: 53
Foundations of computer science: 11
Machine intelligence: 309
Programming language: 21
Security: 156
Software engineering: 455
System programming: 69

285 students in 2 tracks
37 students in 3 tracks

Hope this helps!

@TytoAlba and others. Just very curious. Purdue doesn’t admit incoming freshmen to a major in engineering, but, only admit them into FYE and then let them select major on sophomore year correct? If that be the case, how come the CS department poster? If everyone comes to FYE and that admit rate in Purdue is some 55-60%, how do they say 28% goes into computer science?

It is kind of confusing that the college of science has a couple of CS tracks with the word engineering in them, yet an electrical and computer engineering degree is offered through the college of engineering (which, yes, you do have to go through FYE first).

@“AeroSpace Enthusiast” CS is in the College of Science, not the College of Engineering.

@NJEngDad @Clover2018 Got it, understood. Thanks

Purdue’s CoE acceptance rate is 51.6% for anyone wondering. This is according to their self-published data digest, you just need to select for the College of Engineering under the ‘Applied, Admitted, and Enrolled Students’ tab.

Anyone know about the business school? I believe you take some classes and then apply for the business major. Do most people get the major or is there lots of weeding out?

What time will EA decisions be released?

probably about 4

Last year they released at about 5PM eastern time.

I submitted my application on 1st nov but my TOEFL score reached the admission committee after 1st. Will I be considered for early action?

@delhiboy look on the portal/tracker page that lists all the application components with the green checks. There is a red box for me which says that all of my materials were submitted in time for Early Action.

I don’t have the red box. Is it still a possibility that I get my decision?

@delhiboy It sounds like your application will be considered for regular decision.