Purdue University EA 2025 Decisions

I was surprised my son received no merit as well as he has received full tuition to a hand full of schools so far and to others, high merit awards but nothing for Purdue.

Yes, a lower level of merit aid is one of the tradeoffs for 12 years of flat tuition. Be sure to compare total cost of attendance over four years.

Also keep in mind that they are a state-funded, land-grant college with an obligation to Indiana residents, which likely negatively impacts OOS aid.

If the tradeoff become a detriment to attracting talented students, that may change. But I see no evidence of a downturn in terms of applications, student metrics, rankings, etc., to date.

2 Likes

I live near Pitt. Great degree plan! Huge need for it right now. Pitt is right in the city spread out amongst the city buildingsā€¦an open campus. Purdue is probably as opposite as you can get for 2 large schools as far as campus goes.

1 Like

Yes, a lower level of merit aid is one of the tradeoffs for 12 years of flat tuition. Be sure to compare total cost of attendance over four years.

Is it safe to assume that they will continue to be flat for for years? I assume that they are eventually going to have to raise prices with inflation. If there is a 4 year future lock, then that is something to consider for sure. Itā€™s clear they are opposed to raising cost, but not sure if itā€™s a given?

They mentioned only 10% of the students get a scholarship, which is fairly shocking to me since universally most schools go a different route. Like you mentioned though, this is likely due to the lower tuition cost, so in that sense, some ā€œmeritā€ is built in. I do not mind that model.

In actuality, give me lower tuition and less merit anytime, since one can be lost if a GPA slips, or a student needs one more semester to finish than planned.

In the end of course, will be a matter of total cost versus what you get for it, compared to other net offers.

When does Purdue announce Honors college acceptance? Or ppl already received that?
Also why acceptance only says Engineering but not the major you applied for?

Honors decisions come in mid February.

All engineering students start in First Year Engineering. You transition to your major at the end of freshman year.

Do you (or anyone) know anything about applying for the Honors programs after/during freshman year? My son didnā€™t apply with his application but saw at the time that he can apply at a later date if he attends the school. Just wondered if that is a different program than coming in as a freshman in Honors and/or what the differences are?

Current Purdue students are able to apply to honors college: https://honors.purdue.edu/future-students/current-purdue-students/index.php

For incoming freshmen they live in the honors residences, there are freshman honors advisors, and for engineers, they have their own honors engineering design course.

Iā€™m not sure how it works with the honors seminar courses that freshmen take.

Leadership opportunities and the honors designation would be the main things to access for students who donā€™t come in as freshmen.

My sense though is that the vast majority of students in honors start there as freshmen.

1 Like

I believe the latest tuition freeze announcement extended it through the 2022-2023 year. So students receiving offers now will see the same rates from 2013 for at least two years.

Extension of the freeze is announced on an annual basis, so thereā€™s no way to know/predict how long it will last. But some were saying it couldnā€™t last much longer when my D got her offer 4 years ago.

1 Like

Accepted to Civil Engineering
OOS, CA
3.85 UW/4.6 W
1530 SAT/770 Math II/(got cancelled five times on physics subject test)
Water polo (4 years/2 on varsity)-held two team captain positions one on varsity
A few other decently strong ECs: club polo (captain), internship at local firm, lions heart (president), construction apprenticeship(through my dadā€™s small construction business so Iā€™m not sure if it counted for much, did learn a lot though) and a few more less impressive ones.
No merit sadly

2 Likes

My son was also accepted CoE OOS, WI
I asked him about scholarship info so he reread his letter last night and said it stated financial aid and scholarship info would be sent in Feb. So maybe thereā€™s still hope?

I believe merit-based aid is in the admission letter and need-based aid follows in February.

(Typo corrected - there is no aid based on your name being Ned)

3 Likes

does anyone know if purdue sends out physical acceptance letters/packets in the mail also or just on the portal?

2 Likes

Yes, they do, theyā€™ve said in the parent FB group that this will be sent in the coming weeks

1 Like

Yes they do, and there will be a personalized poster :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone know the acceptance rate of the CS program for Purdue this year?

As RD admissions hasnā€™t been completed, even the Purdue AO doesnā€™t know this yearā€™s admission rates. Theyā€™ll probably be available to the public sometime this Summer or Fall

Attended their live YouTube event last week and the moderator said they had 57k applicants this year!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not that big of an increase compared to some other schools. I believe they had 55K last cycle.

1 Like

Interesting to hear this. I myself will not hold out too much hope as I sent an email directly to admissions, and they explained that Purdue has an extremely low merit percentage, something like only 5-10% of all applicants get merit. I can say that if Purdue threw 5-10k to us in Feb, we would be surprised (and happy), and it would likely bring them back into the fold as a top contender. As it stands now, their full tuition/room/board price is a tad higher or equal to some other schools that are higher ranked that are on our list. We have yet to visit Purdue, but really like the school from afar.

When reading Purdueā€™s ā€œaverageā€ SAT scores and acceptance rate and such, it had made us think we were a lock for merit, but I had not researched how much merit they give and assumed they fell in line with many other schools. But I think Purdue has a strong, deep list of applicants, as well as some extremely talented top end kids (especially in the polytechnic college), so they can afford to not give out much merit and deal with any fallout from it.