Question about The Towers

<p>Visiting the campus is not being part of it nor being privy to its way of life. Like the blind men and the elephant, one sees different aspects from different viewpoints. I trust students to know what it is like to be a student. I also know very few students are posting here- a fraction of a percent of student viewpoints. Those who do post seem to offer a lot of useful information- thank you. Do read the student convocation speech transcript (found in the news, see UW home page)- so much goood info. </p>

<p>OP (original poster)- good luck with optimizing your housing. Don’t worry too much about it- you can meet people in classes and elsewhere. You are part of the whole university, not defined/limited by where you live. PMs- personal messages- are noted by a box in front of your CC page when you log on. Never any email contact- your privacy remains there (you can choose to initiate email contact via a PM with someone if both of you are willing, that then becomes outside of CC). You did well to ask this question so others can learn from the relevant responses. BTW- students can be reached if you know their name via the UW site info you post, you choose which info to release to the public- students this is something you can help the OP with (I utilized this to email son’s friends when I wanted to find out if they had any birthday plans for him before I sent a cake one year).</p>

<p>Could anyone possible provide some details about the Towers that aren’t really mentioned in detail on the website?</p>

<p>-What is the situation with RA’s? Are they located on every floor? I understand that it has strayed away from being private university housing so I was curious as to how this worked.</p>

<p>-Is there a certain price/meal plan associated with the diner? I understand that free breakfast is involved. I was wondering about other meals- is there a cost/plan to cover for them?</p>

<p>-How many floors do the towers consist of? </p>

<p>-Any other benefits or things I should know about the Towers and living there? I toured about a month ago and it seems like a great place to live- location wise and the amenities that aren’t really present in dorm room living. Any down sides? </p>

<p>-Where is the most convenient bus stop located to get towards the engineering center of the campus? </p>

<p>thanks so much for any feedback in advance. on wisconsin! :)</p>

<p>I think it’s around 9-10 stories–hardly a tower by today’s standards. I know you can catch all the campus busses at the Union. Probably want the 85</p>

<p><a href=“Routes & Schedules | Metro Transit, City of Madison, Wisconsin”>Routes & Schedules | Metro Transit, City of Madison, Wisconsin;

<p>PS-Wow, looks like they hit a homerun on the renovation and conversion–only 4 units left to lease. As a private dorm they were running half full.</p>

<p>Don’t plan on always getting a bus to the west end of campus (where the engineering buildings are located). It may often happen that the bus is full or you are wasting time waiting for one. Nothing wrong with planning on walking to places- good exercise. Also- depending on your classes you may not be going that far, or go from one to another building on your way west. Someone from NYC may enjoy being in the noisy, crowded State St area for housing, many others prefer quieter settings. You will join thousands of students hiking up/down Bascom or going around it on University… Your first weeks will include time spent discovering the best ways to get from point A to point B. In the unlikely event you have to get from Humanities to a far west class in 15 minutes be assured that it can be done, but you won’t have time for socialization as well (it was my luck one semester to take a class with the small lecture assigned to space in a western Ag building- nothing to do with the department of the course either). You are most likely to have gaps between courses and be planning a convenient study/hang out place or deciding to hike back to your room to get something… Son never took his winter boots, managed just fine with running shoes all year long regardless of conditions (and they do clear snow as soon as possible).</p>