Question about transferring from another CSU

Hi, I am planning to apply this fall and transfer to Cal Poly Slo next fall. However, I am currently a CSUN student so I am assuming the transfer process is a little different if transferring from a CSU instead of a community college. My question is, for those of you who did transfer to Cal Poly from CSUN or another CSU, what is the application process like and what are the requirements? Another question I have is in regards to work experience and its importance for the selection process. Because of certain reasons it is most likely that I won’t be able to start working part time until next spring. So basically I have no work experience at the moment. Is work experience considered a lot for selection? If so, will I be able to add work experience after my application is submitted, because obviously next spring is past the deadline? Or is it not a big deal if I have no work experience on my application. A bonus question is how was it like being a transfer student from another CSU? Was is easy to adjust and make friends? I’m going to end up living in a dorm or apartment, rather than being a commuter CSUN student. Would it be easier to live in a dorm in terms of making friends? I feel that living in an apartment may feel isolated.

I had a 4.0 high school gpa and currently have a 4.0 college gpa. And I am applying as a Business admin major with a focus on Information systems.

Not a CSU transfer student but I can help with the transfer requirements. You need to match the CSUN courses to the SLO required transfer courses. Since there is no specific articulation agreement between the CSU campuses, you have to be diligent in determining the matching courses. You can look up the required courses for CC transfers on assist.org and match those courses to CSUN courses and then SLO courses. Since you are applying this Fall, i am a bit surprised you have not researched the courses needed. Having as many of the required courses completed at time of application, the better your position will be in transferring.

Here are the transfer requirements required for SLO.

Required Courses

English Language Communication and Critical Thinking

• Oral Communication
  • Written Communication/English Composition
  • Critical Thinking

Mathematics

• MATH 221/Calculus for Business and Economics
    or MATH 141/Calculus I

Statistics

• STAT 251/Statistical Inference for Management

Economics

• ECON 221/Microeconomics
  • ECON 222/Macroeconomics
    or ECON 201/Survey of Economics

Major Related

• BUS 214/Financial Accounting
  • BUS 215/Managerial Accounting
  • BUS 207/Legal Responsibilities of Business

Target projections estimate 1674 transfer applicants for 233 spots.

Good luck.

Hi, I actually have done all of the ge’s already but do I need those major related courses as well to transfer?

Yes, you need to have all the major classes completed by Spring 2024 if you plan to apply this Fall. Anything listed is required.

Hi, yes I looked at the transferrable courses through assist, and noticed that bus 214 and 215 do not have articulated equivalents. I know that means that I will have to take those courses at Cal Poly, so in that case will I still be able to apply and transfer?

Yes

Alright thanks for your help

1 Like