Question about UC GPA - courses outside of high school

First of all - does the term ‘dual enrollment’ only refer to classes that are taken at a community college for which you get high school credit, or is it used more generically for a course you take during high school not at your high school?

Next - my junior has taken/is taking classes from 2 providers outside of her high school that are considered full year high school level classes. We are not seeking credit at her high school as she doesn’t need the credits there. Wondering if the grades will get factored in for the UC GPA. Specifically, one provider was Concordia Language Villages (summer high school credit class in German) and the other is IMACS (online AP computer science). I did a quick search on the IMACs website and they don’t mention UC accreditation.

More broadly, if not counted by UC, would other colleges typically count courses like this in a GPA calculation?

I believe the term “dual” refers to the fact that you’re receiving both college AND high school credit for the course. As the GPA is based on the courses for which you received high school credit, to my knowledge, such a course as you mentioned would not be counted in the GPA colleges consider.

However, I would definitely reach out to admissions offices to confirm!

Dual-enrollment classes enable high school students to take classes at a local college-and potentially earn college credit.

If the outside courses are UC approved and meet any of the a-g course requirements for the UC’s, then the course grades would be included in her UC GPA calculation.

Have you checked this link to see if they are UC approved: https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist#/list/search/institution

Neither provider is listed on the UC list. Thanks for the link, @Gumbymom.