Question about UC Regents Scholarships

Hi there,
I’m a parent, and I’m a little surprised that my son hasn’t received any Regent Scholarships offers, especially for the less selective UC’s. The only relevant thing it says in his portals is that no FAFSA has been received.

We didn’t fill out the FAFSA, because it seemed clear that based on a combination of income and savings for college there was no chance he would qualify for any financial need awards.

It clearly says on the UC website that the FAFSA is not required to be considered for the Regents Scholarship. Does anyone out there have reason to believe that this might not be true?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might give.

What are his stats? You pretty much need ACT of 35+ or SAT 2300+ and 4.0UW with heavy courseload.

The funny thing is I have seen many kids with less than stellar stats at UC Berkeley get Regents. In fact, one person who gave us a tour guide told us his stats (something like 3.8 gpa and 2000 SAT) and he said he was surprised he got a Regents. He said he wrote a good essay and he could not afford to attend UCB without financial aid. It seemed to me that Regents decision is very subjective, i.e…, you could get into Harvard/Stanford and still not be chosen for Regents.

@debrose I don’t think you can blame it on not filing FAFSA. (We did not file FAFSA and son got Regents invite from Berkeley.)

Are Regents out for the less selective UCs yet? I’ve only seen that Cal and UCLA came out. UCSB is not out yet, I’m pretty sure. I’m not watching Davis or Irvine, but haven’t seen anything about UCSD or UCSC Regents being out yet. I may not have been watching closely, though.

This is a 2015 thread. Regardless, it looks like Irvine came out today.