Question on Delivery of SAT-II Results

<p>Hello!</p>

<p>I am going to take three SAT Subject Tests next on October. Since it takes approximately three weeks before result comes out, I am kind of worried that there is a chance of failure to deliver the test results by the ED deadline. I put UW in the "Sending the Result to College," but does admission officers require separate copy of of scores or they just look at what CB sent?</p>

<p>You are not talking about early decision, ED, but really early notification- vastly different concepts.</p>

<p>^
What do you mean?</p>

<p>Mansu007, for Fall of 2013, there are 2 notification periods. The first notification period is early notification, and if you submit a complete application before its deadline, you will receive a notification around or before the end of january, whereas for the second notification period, you get the decision around the end of March. There is no real advantage in applying during the early notification. You will have roughly equal chances of getting in or being rejected during either application period. I guess they use it to make the number of handled applications more manageable. UW Madison does not use ED–if you apply to a school that uses it ED, it means the school is your first choice and you have a higher chance of admission than you otherwise would (during regular decision).</p>

<p>Mansu, good luck. UW Madison is an excellent, prestigious school. If you really like it, I hope you get in!</p>

<p>^
Thank you very much for detailed answer!
UW really have nationwide recognized microbiology program, and my future goal is to research as molecular virologist. </p>

<p>By the way, you said that there is no definite advantage of applying as First Semester Application. So UW-Madison sort of balance the applicant pools for both Semesters application. </p>

<p>What kind of application form does UW-Madison supports? Does it support Common Application or Universal College Application, or does UW-Madison support its specialized application form?</p>

<p>You’re welcome. UW Madison uses a specialized form.</p>

<p>UW uses rolling admissions. They added the two notification periods in recent years so students who applied early would know they had an answer before the end of March. This means they can give you an answer any time after you apply- not everyone has to wait until January or March for their decision. Some students are clear admits (or rejects) and will get the yes or no quickly. Many will be “postponed” which means they have to wait until March most likely for the yes or no decision. These students can be successful at UW but UW isn’t sure there will be room for them until all applications that have been received by the deadline (Feb 1st) are evaluated.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for all the immensely helpful advice and answers!</p>

<p>Is University of Wisconsin-Madison always has shortage of dorm rooms? When I </p>

<p>contacted one of undergraduate student of UW-Madison, he said the the main problem of </p>

<p>UW-Madison is that it has not enough dorm rooms for many students…</p>

<p>There have always been full dorms. However this year a new dorm has opened so the supply/demand situation has improved. Once a student is accepted there will be a housing application for Res Halls available (the exception is a late spring acceptance if they have already filled their quota). Those who sign the contract will get a place in Res Halls. Next spring students will finalize their rankings of dorm choices and there is a lottery to assign students to a room. Most will get one of their top choices, some will get temporary dorm housing in the fall (they use dens and some Ag school short course dorms- all get the usual amenities) until no shows, etc free up the regular dorm spaces. UW does not make doubles into triples or otherwise cram students into rooms like some U’s do. </p>

<p>Do not worry about housing. Once accepted chances are very good for getting into Res Halls. There are also private dorms and apartments (many/most second year and most beyond that choose apartments) near campus. There are many past threads discussing the merits of public (Res Halls) and private dorms you can search.</p>