Quick Questions Thread

<p>Just went to orientation last week and son stayed at WAJ and I stayed at EAJ. If any of you get stuck in these the ONLY way to get cool at night is to crack the room door 5 or 6 inches and hold it there for the night. That will create a draft of wind cooling it down nicely..otherwise a fan will not help much, stirring up hot air all around. The food was very good. We ate at D2 and the 2 places at Squires. What an impressive campus, for beauty and functionality...dorm wise they are 10 years behind some schools in florida.</p>

<p>You stayed in two of the worst dorms on campus (only Pritchard is worse) which will both be renovated/closed in the next half decade. New dorms are going up as we speak. So yes, AJ is, at best, 10 years behind just about everywhere else, but most of the dorms on campus are better.</p>

<p>and we paid to stay there.LOL $ 53.00 bucks w/ dinner and breakfast. I guess it is allright.Toughen up kids!!!</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Do you really need to bring a printer? </p></li>
<li><p>The laptop i bought is Vista Home Premium. Computer OS requirements are xp professional, vista business, or ultimate. Does it really matter?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>1) It helps. You CAN print stuff off at the library but then you have to go to the library and pay per page. I think it's 10 cents per page, black and white, not sure. I'd bring a cheap one if I were you.</p>

<p>2) I kind of doubt it. You can contact someone in your specific college (College of Engineering, Architecture, etc...) to make sure.</p>

<p>edit: A hint to all students: Go to my.vt.edu after you get your IDname and password (I think you get them at orientation.) It has how much money you have on your card, how much you owe VT, grades after the semester is over , scheduling and a ton of other stuff. It's SO much easier than trying to navigate hokiespa.</p>

<p>One last bump before move in.</p>

<p>I am moving in on Wednesday which is five days before classes start, and do I just like hang around for those five days or are there like some activities to attend?</p>

<p>There may be some activities going on but campus is probably going to be relatively dead until Friday. If it's your first time at VT you should explore campus (find your classes and everything) and then explore off campus for a while. Blacksburg is a neat little town, you can just walk around with a couple people and you'll find something.</p>

<p>Another question, when do we find out who our advisor is?</p>

<p>I'm actually planning to study MSE at Virginia Tech. How is the MSE department (in terms of quality of professors, education, class size, etc)? I looked on the website and it seemed like they are really trying to make it one of the top 10 programs in the nation. Is there a lot of opportunity for nanotech research in MSE, or would that be more in the physics department?</p>

<p>Wow, the second person on this board to be interested in MSE (my major.) Most of the professors are very good. You get a lot of individual attention if you want it because there are only around 20-30 people per major in MSE. That also means you get to know everyone really well. The class sizes are of course small, since there aren't many people in the first place. Not sure about nano; it's not really the direction I'm heading in. If you plan on visiting campus you may be able to get an MSE recruiting tour, and the professors would be able to tell you more about that.</p>

<p>I'm a junior in high school trying to narrow down my college list and I was just
wondering if it is possible double major at Virginia Tech, because I am very interested in both the Apparel and Marketing majors. I also noticed that Fall Open House is on a weekend, and I've always been told to go on campus visits during the week. Is there really a difference? Should I go to the Open House and then a regular campus tour on a weekday?</p>

<p>Yes, you can double major. Open house and then the campus tour on a weekday is probably the best way to do things.</p>

<p>Alright, I'm probably going to do that. Thanks for answering my questions.</p>

<p>Shayna: Is the apparel program in Pamplin? That's a key difference. The possibility of double major is why my daughter is going to VT. But we didn't quite get all of the answers we needed, and really didn't get any good advice. Waited until we got there for orientation to realize that admission to one program is no guarantee of admission to the other. Daughter, like you, has an artistic bent, and wants to do Graphic Design coupled with double major in Marketing. Only problem is that you will only be admitted to one college, and need two years of stellar college work to declare that second major in Pamplin, and then, it's competitive based on space available. We were given some very bad advice from a very prominent person on campus - we thought we could rely on it. Be forewarned - When you go to open house, you should plan to attend both Pamplin session and the Fashion session and see how they work together (or don't), then figure out which one would be most likely to let you add. I don't want to discourage you, but there really doesn't seem to be any one person who has all the answers to these questions, even though some will tell you they do. From what I have heard about academic advising, this is probably good advice for the entire college experience! Ask, but do the research yourself.</p>

<p>Apparel is acutally in the College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences. Thanks alot for the advice creekdweller, it is really appreciated. I'll be sure to ask around at open house and attend both sessions. Thanks again for telling me this, it was extremely helpful.</p>

<p>Hello Chuy Thanks a lot for the thread.
I<code>m planning to apply as a transfer honors from Northern Virginia Community College, I was wondering if I dont get accepted with honors does that mean I</code>m totally declined?</p>

<p>hi chuy- i have one more question. Can you take the exploring engineering course if your not declared as an engineering major? I'm wondering this because i want to look into engineering, but i dont want to have to buy the tablet pc and then realize i dont want that to be my major when i could bring my laptop i have now and take all the same courses i would as if i was majoring in engineering but hold off on buying the tablet. Thanks</p>

<p>I think you can take the class with special permission, but you need to talk to someone that actually works at VT to know for sure. If you take the class you'll need the tablet though. That's actually the only class where it's used (I lost my pen right after freshman year and never bought another. Now I use a desktop computer). You SHOULD be able to get by with a laptop and Wacom (or similar) drawing tablet as long as the professor doesn't throw a fit.</p>

<p>apply engineering even if you're only 25% sure you want to do engineering. it's such a hassle to transfer into the engineering school. SUCH A HASSLE!!</p>