Readmit advice/opinions? (One bad semester, turning it around)

Howdy,

I was accepted to TAMU for the Spring 2015 semester as a B.S. Biology major. A lot of horrible things happened to me that semester, including the loss of two of my closest and longest friends to a drunk driving accident, and then suicide as a result of the loss of our first friend. I failed BIO 111, Chem 101(Dropped the lab), THAR 281(that’s how bad the semester went for me), but passed my Anthropology course with a B, and my dance class with an A.

I was not retained in my major, applied to switch to GEST with a 1.31 GPA, but was rejected. I have since moved home and this semester I took 14 credits at the community college and made all As, bringing my GPA to a 2.57. Spring 2016, I will be retaking the biology course, taking college algebra, elementary Spanish, and a few other courses, and summer 2016 I will be retaking the chemistry course and taking pre-calc.

I plan to apply as a readmit for the Fall 2016 semester, but as an Anthropology major, hence the Spanish course. I believe I can bring my GPA up above a 3.1 by the time I apply, as I’m usually a very diligent student, I just had a horrible semester. If I am able to prove that the first semester is a fluke, do you believe that I stand a chance as a readmit? I have already spoken to the Anthropology advisor, and he has told me that it seems I am on the right path, that there is no minimum GPA to apply with.

Does anyone have anything else to weigh in on? I need opinions and advice. This has been a rough journey so far for me, and I want to turn it around and show that I am capable of success.

You have to submit an essay as part of the app-

“The statement of purpose will provide an opportunity to explain any extenuating circumstances that you feel could add value to your application. You may also want to explain unique aspects of your academic background or valued experiences you may have had that relate to your academic discipline. The statement of purpose is not meant to be a listing of accomplishments in high school or a record of your participation in school-related activities. Rather, this is your opportunity to address the admissions committee directly and to let us know more about you as an individual, in a manner that your transcripts and other application information cannot convey.”

Make sure you explain what happened in this essay and how you have addressed it. Your reaction was pretty normal for an 18 year old. You are doing what you can after a horrible tragedy.