Really? 3.9

<p>Really? 3.9? Give me a break. 21,000 applications for around 5,000 spots and they accepted 13,000. Of that 13,000 the average GPA might be 3.9, but what about the 5,000 student that accept the offer, what are their GPAs? I was accepted with a 3.53 and a 1900 on my SATs. Another thing I noticed it that Tech actually put what the average GPA and SAT scores on their rejection letters? I have been turned down by many schools(W&M, Washington and Lee, Richmond) and none of them have the average GPA or SAT scores, so why did Tech put it on theirs? It seems kind of childish and misleading to do such a thing.</p>

<p>This gpa stuff really is misleading, I think the "average" gpa of last years class was a 3.8. At my limited time at Tech I have run in to a lot of people with a total lack of common sense and questionable intelligence (not to say that I am an Einstein either). That is how the incoming class gpa is misleading, you have a perception that everybody is very smart and that everybody (whether lazy and unmotivated or not) is capable. You will find that when you arive at Tech you will start to ask yourself a lot of questions when meeting people, like: "how did he/she manage to get in here?" Starts to get me thinking of grade inflation at many high schools. I for one remember that I was totally lazy in high school (in NoVa) and managed a 3.6. If I had tried I probably could have gotten a 4.0+ (probably could say this for many people). My older brother probably does not have the intelligence to operate a grill at an Outback Steakhouse yet he goes to Uva. Thats why I believe you cannot put full stock into a person's "stats." I too have met people with low gpa's and SAT scores who I would have thought were Harvard scholars if I didn't know them personally. To use a horrible cliche, you can't judge a book by its cover.</p>

<p>I agree..Students with great GPA's aren't by any means "smarter." I know plenty of kids with great GPA's and no common sense whatsoever. However, in the real world it's not a matter of who is "smarter" but who works harder. And those with better GPA's (for the most part) work harder.</p>