Receiving a B in a course right before college applications are due

So I have had straight A’s all throughout high school. However, I took two summer courses at a college between junior and senior year and received a ‘B’ in US history. I’ve taken 6 courses prior to this and received all A’s. I know colleges want to see an upward trend and now my stats look like I just gave up the semester before college apps. How much will this hurt my chances of admission for schools like UCLA, Berkeley, and Santa Barbara???

One B will not be the difference between acceptance and rejection. Good luck.

If you have some extenuating circumstances, you could also mention it on the application. There is a section of additional information after the personal interest questions. If you had some issues when taking the course, or were pushing yourself to take something at a higher level than you have done before, that would be good to mention there.

in most cases, the college course will be weighted so, it is a 4 for GPA purposes. If you’ve taken hard classes, including several college courses and maintained a 4.2+ GPA and have strong test scores, ECs and write good essays - you will be a strong candidate. for L:A and B and SB.