Recommendation for college in the Northeast?

<p>Hi! I'm a student enrolled at a community college, and I currently have nine credits consisting of Western Civilization, Introduction to Psychology and Introduction to Writing. My college GPA for the first semester was I believe a 3.67, so I think I have a somewhat good GPA. I plan to transfer into a four-year university in the Fall of 2014, but I have no idea which colleges I should apply to. Many of these school have a complex process of transferring into a nursing program, which makes things quite difficult. Right now I'm looking at Quinnipiac University, UMASS Amherst, and University of Portland (only school I'd apply to one the west coast.) I applied to Rutgers SAS in hopes of doing a school-to-school transfer after a year or so of attending there. Would I be able to get into the schools mentioned about, and could anyone give any good recommendations on schools that I could get into? My HS stats are 3.6 Cumulative and 490:CR, 520:W, 520:M.</p>

<p>What classes should I also take next semester? The community college I am at is very limited in courses because it is on an overseas military base, so I don't have many options. I was thinking of taking an online Nutrition course, or complete my languages. I could take Biology, but I'm 90% sure that it wouldn't transfer well since universities are picky in transferring science credits.</p>

<p>I wish I knew the answers to your questions, but I don’t. My main recommendation is to apply to many colleges, to keep your options open, and to apply as early as practical. Many nursing programs fill up their seats early in the year.</p>

<p>It is good that you have psychology and writing out of the way. Spanish and nutrition would be very useful. </p>

<p>If available to you, take the ACT. Many students who are better at science than math do much better on the ACT than the SAT. This is because the ACT has a specific section on science, and math counts for a smaller percentage of the overall score. Most colleges will base their admissions and merit aid on whichever score is higher.</p>

<p>UMASS Amherst doesn’t allow people to transfer into nursing</p>

<p>Transferring into nursing is difficult and competitive. Suggestions are to take science courses, most intro courses transfer and even if they don’t - showing a good grade in a science course (prerequisite to nursing courses) is a definite plus. Try to take science courses and a few more intro courses and get the highest grades possible - apply early and to as many as you can afford to, as it is highly competitive. Other suggestion is to complete a two year degree and then apply to a nursing program - they will then consider your gpa only…also, many schools, such as UNH do not allow outside transfers, and many schools hold only a few seats for transfers…so try to check out how many students in the nursing program - you may have a better shot with a larger program.</p>

<p>From what I have seen, most colleges in the northeast stress direct entry from high school, while many in the southeast require applicants to be admitted after one or two years of college. The more selective direct entry nursing programs often do not accept transfers, but some of the less selective colleges probably do. </p>

<p>There also are a few programs that specifically serve transfers after 2 years of college - such as Thomas Jefferson University in Phila.</p>