Regarding the major assigned in Virginia Tech Class 2022

We are from India. My son got admission in Virginia Tech, with “General Engineering” as the major. While applying the intended major was Computer Science. When asked for confirmation, I was told by the admissions office that all students should major in “General Engineering” and at the end of first year, the discipline i.e., computer science or computer engineering will be assigned when the student will be working with the advisor

My son got into Computer Science major in few other universities. Since we are interested in Virginia Tech, we are considering to admit him in VA tech. But the dilemma is … is there any chance that he may not be assigned Computer Science or Computer Engineering discipline at the end of first year?

We do not want to take that risk. Can anyone guide us regarding assigning of discipline?

I believe that if your son maintains a 3.0 average or above he will get his 1st choice placement after he completes a certain amount of credits (can’t remember the exact amount but believe it is on the website). If not, he will be ranked with others that did not make the 3.0 average and then be placed in his 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice concentration based on rank and availability.

@SALSRL : Thank you for the inputs.

@vijayavadrevu Hello there. I’m an Indjan too and was admitted to VT engineering! I had a question for you… did your son receive any acceptance package by postal mail from Vatech? I did not and was wondering cause most of the other admitted students have received it. However, it was great to see an Indian on this thread and looking forward to your response! Thanks.