Will I get the major

The application only has choice for choosing college of engineering. Will I get the major, I want to do, at the end of year 1? Can V TECH assign a major that was not preferred due to seat limits?

From the Va Tech CoE website:

Why is my major General Engineering?
The first-year general engineering program allows you to explore engineering concepts and specific disciplines within an interdisciplinary engineering curriculum. Research in engineering education shows that you are more likely to be successful with a foundation that allows you to develop a sense of community and strengthen motivation for success in the field.

First-Year Engineering

Our first-year engineering program is regarded as one of the best in the nation.

Students are admitted as General Engineering students and take the prescribed set of required courses during the first year.

During that time, the students are exposed to the 14 different majors offered in the College of Engineering and are able to make an informed decision about what field they will pursue.

https://enge.vt.edu/content/dam/enge_vt_edu/undergraduate/com_requirements/COM_GE.pdf

Based on current process above, if you have a 3.0 GPA and meet the requirements listed, you are guaranteed your 1st choice. If you do NOT meet the process requirements, that is not the case.

This policy and steps change frequently, so stay on top of the rules for your given class.

Just stay above the 3.0 GPA during your first year and you’ll be fine. Of course, stay above the 3.0 GPA at all times if you want to be competitive for scholarships, internships, and recognition. If you’re truly worried about being below 3.0, I have had friends enter into their first choice engineering major without meeting the guaranteed mark (some of the choices being highly competitive, including Computer Science).