Rejected by UC Davis

@Corbett Yeah im sure, my UC application says that I am not in the top 9%. Maybe the bar has raised this year, I’m not sure. I got an 8 on the writing section, which is pretty low.

@NDTran4: UCD had 5400 spots, but will accept 3x as many applicants so around 16000+. Last year they accept 18500+.
UCI accepted 21,000+ last year but also had a huge increase in applicants this year.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/uc-freshman-application-data.pdf

@NDTran4 I strongly recommend that you take another look. Use the instructions at:
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/instructions.html

You have 31 Composite ACT, right? OK, that’s good for a 178 UC Score.

If you have 8 on the ACT Combined English/Writing score, that’s good for a 45 UC score. But note that the “Combined English/Writing Score” is different from the “Writing Score”. You should double-check your ACT results, because it would be unusual to have a 31 Composite score with Combined English/Writing of only 8. But OK, let’s assume that it really is only 8. In that case, you have a 178 + 45 = 223 UC Score total. Now go to the bottom of the page, where it says:

Your GPA is 3.96, right? So it is in the “3.95 - 3.99” range. For that range, you need a UC score of 220. You have 223. So it looks to me like you will be offered admission at UC Merced.

There’s another way to check this, using the online calculator at:
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/
I plugged 3.96. 31, and 8 into the calculator and got the same result. Top 9% statewide. Remember, there are two ways to be top 9%: local and statewide.

If it turns out that your Combined English/Writing Score is greater than 8 (again, this is different from the Writing Score), then your UC Score total should be even higher.

I also don’t understand what it means by English/writing score. Does it mean the ELA score?

@socalmom007 @NDTran4 Sorry, the ACT recently changed what they call it, so it may have a different name depending on when you took the test. It was “Combined English/Writing”, now it’s “ELA”. But either way, that’s what you need to determine UC eligibility (not the writing score alone). The UC calculation instructions sas:

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/instructions.html

@Gumbymom Ah I see, I have heard that this year all of the UC’s had a significant rise in applicants. It seems like you know a lot about the UC system/Admission process. I know I have already asked you my chances of getting into my other UC’s, and at this point I’m just hoping for UCSB. Can you say if I am more likey to be rejected or accepted? what are your predictions with my situation at this time?

@NDTran4: Based on your stats only, I would say 50/50 chance. UCSB does put more emphasis on EC’s and essays but since these are very subjective it is hard to say how much of an impact these will have. Hope for best.

Funny, I didn’t think my daughter was in the top 9%, she isn’t in the top 9 at her high school, but based on that calculator she is for the state.

I feel like I am in the same boat as you @NDTran4
Here are my stats:
Weighted GPA: 4.68
Unweighted: 3.86
UC GPA: 4.27
SAT: 2040
Sophomore Year: 1 AP Class
Junior Year: 3 AP Classes
Senior Year: 5 AP Classes

I got rejected from UCSD, and I thought with my stats I had a pretty good chance of getting in. I didn’t even apply to Davis, thinking I would for sure get into SD. My friend with similar backgrounds as me got accepted, but her stats were lower than mine.

After getting rejected from SD, I feel like I have no chance of getting into any other UCs. (I did get accepted to UCR, but I don’t really want to go there)

Not unusual if you attend a relatively competitive high school.

Hello, I’m a Sophomore in High School, and I’m interested in studying agriculture at UC Davis. Is it easier to get into agriculture than biology at UC Davis and colleges in general? I’m personally scared because I think I’ll have around a 4.0 UC GPA (4.6 Weighted)

@tyler805

At Cal Poly (which gets many cross-applicants with UCD), there are six undergraduate colleges. Of the six, the College of Agriculture has the lowest average GPAs and test scores, as well as the highest acceptance rate. I don’t know if there is a similar pattern at UCD, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
https://admissions.calpoly.edu/prospective/profile.html

Honestly, I really wish there was a way we could record the counselors reviewing each application. Like a paper on their thoughts and such. I got waitlisted by UCD Friday, but my stats arent nearly as good as yours. 24 ACT & 1130 SAT. Praying that youll get into a UC!! Good luck.

@tyler805: UCD admits into the College of Agriculture and also into the College of Biological Sciences, so major is not considered. The College of Agriculture has many prospective Pre-Vet applicants so this College will be just as competitive as the College of Biological Sciences. My advice is select the major you want pursue and not try to “game” the system and look for the easier admit.

hi So same problem here
my UC GPA is 4.0
weighted IB GPA is 4.4
SAT scores are 1400
Major- BioMedical (I know this is impacted major but I have decent chance)
I am Valedictorian of my class.
Club president.
Community service club founder.
County event crew member.
First generation student.
Participant in World Student Conference, Denver Colorado.
Did internships
and many more things.

So I got rejected from UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, UC San Diego and still waiting for UC Irvine to reply.
From CSU I got into Chico State, Humboldt State, Cal Poly rejected me, still waiting for CSU Long Beach to reply.
From Privates, I am waiting for Pitzer college of Claremont and Stanford University to answer.

Everyone is surprised by my rejections cause my fellow student with 3.2 GPA and low SAT scores and almost none extra-curricular got into UCD, UCSC, and UCSD. I have no clue what is their selection process! and what are their statistics. But I got backup options.

@FaizanAshraf yeah, really crazy. Sounds like you will, though, thrive wherever you go. And if you can afford Pitzer, go. Looks like a great place to get an education.