religious school?

<p>Is Texas A&M a religious, conservative school? I come from NY and we are very open-minded and might be applying and read that it is one of the top religious schools and very close-minded. This would factor my decision greatly. Thanks</p>

<p>@jdschooled5 Try this thread and with Google you can find similar threads. <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1618136-will-a-california-student-like-a-m.html#latest”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1618136-will-a-california-student-like-a-m.html#latest&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>We are from Arizona and my son is a freshman engineering student. He loves A&M. I think you would find that there are cliques and clubs representing practically any religious/non-religious viewpoint and political persuasion. However, it would be fair to say that the median on the distribution curve would be more conservative than most universities, which tend to be more liberal than the general population. Also, because of legislative admission requirements, only about three percent of students are OOS and two percent international. This means that 95 percent are Texans.<br>
Even liberal Texans are not the same as liberal New Yorkers. </p>

<p>We visited many campuses and found that A&M students were incredibly friendly and hospitable. In the end, your attitude will determine whether you will fit in or not. You should definitely visit for more data.</p>

<p>What? A religious school? Not at all. I don’t think I’ve ever heard that rumor before.</p>

<p>A portion of the student body is fairly conservative. A lot of the students are from Texas, naturally, and Texas has a lot of politically and religiously conservative families. So, yeah, you’re going to have that contingent at A&M.</p>

<p>But there is also a large portion of the student body that appears to be moderate or independent. And there’s a portion that appears to be liberal!</p>

<p>You’ve probably heard that most colleges and universities tend towards being liberal. Well, A&M’s student body might be slightly more conservative compared to most universities. But you won’t walk on campus and detect anything weird. Haha.</p>

<p>(Okay, wait. Maybe you will. :slight_smile: To be perfectly honest, I thought the whole “HOWDY!” thing during the parents’ tour in a 112 degree weather WAS weird. And very annoying! The core of cadets guy insisted that all of us old, wilting parents echo his “Howdy” over and over again, with great enthusiasm, at each and every stop! OMG. But I’m over that now, hahaa. He was doing his thing and proud of it!)</p>

<p>There are over 50,000 students enrolled on the main campus! You can’t have those kinds of numbers without having some diversity of opinions and beliefs.</p>

<p>My own son considers himself to be a moderate independent. He has some traditionally liberal beliefs. He has been surrounded by other similarly-minded students since he got there. He knows the stereotype you’re talking about – I do, too. But there are all sorts of kids at A&M, not just that stereotype. I’m not even sure that the stereotype is the majority! They may well be the minority. I really don’t know.</p>

<p>I can say that every time I’m there visiting, I’m struck by just how nice, and friendly, and helpful, and polite the students are that cross my path. The people he attends class with and lives with don’t come across as rednecks or religious zealots or intolerant of others at all.</p>

<p>My son and his girlfriend have raved about the honor code since they got there. People seem to take it seriously. A&M makes a point to develop great citizens, not just good students. They teach the 6 Core Values from the time students arrive. And from what I can tell, a lot of students try to live by them.</p>

<p>Now, my son is a fairly serious student who wants to be a good citizen. His friends are the same way. There are bound to be kids there who aren’t serious students or who don’t care, at this point in their lives, to be good citizens. It’s a huge population. You’re going to get all kinds! But, whenever I’m there, I do not get any impression of conservative bigotry or intolerance – and it’s definitely NOT a religious school! </p>

<p>If you apply and get in, you should definitely try to visit! :)</p>

<p>^^Ha! Interesting. I was writing my post while Beaudreau was posting. It appears that Beaudreau and I have much the same take on the place! :)</p>

<p>So if you’re religious or conservative that means you are close minded? I would say judging a group of people based on their beliefs would be close minded. </p>

<p>You have a good mix of political and religious backgrounds at A&M just like any university. </p>

<p>@Simplelife You said it better!</p>

<p>@Beaudreau I don’t know … I was thinking to myself – “Wow. Beaudreau said everything I said in just one paragraph. Why couldn’t I do that?”</p>

<p>At any rate, it’s funny how we covered all the same bases. All types of students; some from conservative Texas families; campus is a bit more conservative than most, whereas most campuses tend towards liberal; aggies are extremely friendly and kind; you should definitely visit and see for yourself. Ha! The bullet points. :)</p>

<p>The thing I appreciate about Texas A&M as a former student and a parent of current students is that unlike most colleges that lean either heavily liberal or heavily conservative, A&M has a mix of both. I don’t think either group would feel excluded. Students of all religions (or none) will be able to find like minded kids. And be exposed to different ideas which is a good thing!</p>

<p>A&M has a reputation of being supportive of students’ religious beliefs. That puts it in a different category than many universities which actively squelch religious speech or practice. Yes, that tends to make A&M seem more religious but it is actually that it is more open minded. My other son happens to attend a university in NY and TAMU is so much more open minded than the NY university. </p>

<p>" I come from NY and we are very open-minded" - Not to sound harsh, but you don’t sound very open-minded from what you posted. </p>

<p>^ I disagree with that line of thinking. There is no doubt that there are stereotypes about TAMU, and particularly about Texas, just as there are about New York and other states, and people, and places. Stereotypes are a fact of life. In my opinion, open dialogue is one of the best ways to navigate around the stereotypes and get to some truth. And so, I’m glad the OP bothered to ask.</p>

<p>People across the country could assign some fairly uniform adjectives to the Texas stereotype, because so many people are familiar with what that stereotype is. It came from somewhere. There’s some reason that people across the country can put common adjectives to “how would you define the Texas stereotype?” That doesn’t mean that the stereotype represents “truth” or that every Texan or every aggie fits the stereotype, or that people should assume that everybody fits it. But it does mean that people will be prone to wonder whether there’s truth in it.</p>

<p>Just by the fact that the OP bothered to ask the question tells me that s/he is open-minded enough to consider that the stereotypes aren’t true. The OP is trying to do some fact-finding on his or her own. It’s hard to pose a question like his/hers, using honest dialogue, without offending some people. But, to me, it’s important to hear the intent of the question, answer back with honesty, and try to avoid feeling offended.</p>

<p>Otherwise, the tables could be turned right back on people who respond defensively. To me, those answers sound a bit close-minded because they don’t address the innocent intent of the question. Instead, they simultaneously dismiss and put down the asker. To me, those types of answers have an air of defensiveness and accusation in them, so I find them a little ironic. Both parties could go back and forth all day – That was close-minded! No, THAT was close-minded! Etc. Nothing gained.</p>

<p>OP: “Are Texans close-minded?”</p>

<p>Readers: “I would say you’re close-minded. Stop judging us.”</p>

<p>Me: “Ironic.”</p>

<p>I understand that we’re all not going to agree. This is just my opinion.</p>

<p>@SimpleLife thank you for that. I was in no way intending for people to be offended by my question. I’m simply getting input on a college I would like to apply to! </p>

<p>It seems regardless of religion, TAMU is a pretty good place to go. No matter where I go outside of NY, there will be people that have different beliefs than me, which is something I accept. Hey, even the schools in upstate NY (Binghamton, Albany, Buffalo) are different than down here! </p>

<p>^ Of course, jdschooled5! I understand. You’re doing your due diligence and trying to find a good college that is a very good fit for you. Good for you! Keep checking stuff out and asking all those good questions so you can narrow your search to those schools that fit you best!</p>

<p>Best of luck to you! :)</p>