Safe or Lockable Trunk in the Dorms?

<p>S will be a freshman this fall. A friend today said she sent her kid with a lockable trunk, but I haven’t seen this in any of the various packing lists.</p>

<p>I don’t get particularly paranoid about theft (he’s not going with expensive jewelry or heirlooms), but I could see value in locking a few things up before a party or a long weekend away. </p>

<p>Are they prohibited, permitted, encouraged?</p>

<p>Ordered one of these for our D, who will be a freshman in the fall:</p>

<p>ECR4Kids Lock and Roll Portable Under-Bed Personal Safe-- [Amazon.com:</a> ECR4Kids Lock and Roll Portable Under-Bed Personal Safe: Toys & Games](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/ECR4Kids-Lock-Portable-Under-Bed-Personal/dp/B005JCZI5G]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/ECR4Kids-Lock-Portable-Under-Bed-Personal/dp/B005JCZI5G)</p>

<p>Hmmmmmm. that might work</p>

<p>I wonder how many pairs of Jimmy Choo and Louboutin’s will fit in that thing?</p>

<p>ha! kidding…</p>

<p>That looks like a nice safe. </p>

<p>Thank you for passing this on!</p>

<p>For those of you purchasing that safe, what are you planning to store in there? I’m trying to think of what the heck my son would need one of those for in his honors dorm with locking door. Granted son doesn’t take prescription meds or own Louboutins…</p>

<p>I think it is probably way too big but items might include:</p>

<p>Grandma’s pearls
passport
birth certificate
other papers
prescriptions
cash
checks
and, sometimes if away, the MAC</p>

<p>Is that fireproof? If not, then a fireproof box INSIDE…</p>

<p>Got a 2 drawer filing cabinet with a lock and key.
Easier to slip cell phone, laptop, wallet, valuables in filing cabinet, even expensive hair products, textbooks if super paranoid about roommate’s sketchy friends if you are away for the weekend.
Out of sight out of mind.
Most thefts are because the item is out in the open, unattended.</p>

<p>Daughter has one of these: [SentrySafe</a> P005C Compact Safe, 0.05 Cubic Feet, Black - Amazon.com](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-P005C-Compact-Cubic-Black/dp/B004LAMJVI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1367364831&sr=8-6&keywords=dorm+safe]SentrySafe”>http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-P005C-Compact-Cubic-Black/dp/B004LAMJVI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1367364831&sr=8-6&keywords=dorm+safe)</p>

<p>Works well for holding prescriptions, passport, SS card, etc.</p>

<p>True, for our kids in super suites, their valuables are probably safe, but if I understand correctly, Greek housing involves a shared room, so one might want to have a small safe in their room, especially for jewelry. I didn’t even think about prescription meds. Good point.</p>

<p>I really would be upset if my mom’s pearls got ripped off. I really would.</p>

<p>Bamamom, that is the exact on my son has. He uses it for his large bottle of ADHD meds, and only has a few days worth out at a time. He also put his credit card in there, not needing to carry it on campus. He also kept some cash in there. The big under bed one seems like overkill. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>A small locked box or safe is a good idea. Sent one with my son. He could keep his passport, insurance information and drivers license information in it. It was not fancy, but at least he knew where the paperwork was in case of an emergency.</p>

<p>Many, if not all of the honors and suite-style dorms include a lockable cabinet (padlock needed). As the rooms have lockable doors, I see less of a reason for an additional strongbox. Students are certainly welcome to bring them however.</p>

<p>I can’t think of a compelling reason to bring a birth certificate or social security card if the student is bringing a passport. Have your student memorize their SSN. The passport takes the place of both the ID and Social Security card when applying for a job.</p>

<p>Riverside dorms do not have locking cabinet/drawer. S never even locks his bedroom door (witnessed it tonight myself when we left for dinner). He has great roommates, who all have no shady friends, and he never sees the need, I guess?</p>

<p>I recommend a passport for anyone whether they travel or not. Aside from a license, it is one of the very few government issued IDs that is widely acceptable, should your license get lost.</p>

<p>My son has shady roommates! :slight_smile: He ALWAYS locks his door!!</p>

<p>My daughter has a small lock box with her passport, insurance information, an extra set of car keys and photocopies of everything she carries in her wallet. Should she ever lose her purse/wallet, she has all the necessary information in the lock box. Another item that I STRONGLY recommend for all students who have a laptop is a laptop cable lock. After a friend’s daughter had her brand new MacBook Pro w/ retina display stolen out of her dorm room, I got one for my daughter. Her laptop is attached by a cable to a shelving unit that sits on her desk. If someone wants to steal her laptop they are going to have to walk out with that big shelving unit attached to it. Also, don’t fool yourself just because it is an honors dorm. Friend’s daughter was in RSN.</p>

<p>If by shady you mean someone who doesn’t care much to be out in the sun, why, yes, yes he <em>is</em> ‘shady’.</p>

<p>Hmph.</p>

<p>Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, NRDMOM.</p>

<p>Seriously, all students should lock their doors! Best to be safe in case one of the roomies is running late to class and forgets to lock main door. Has nothing to do with trusting roommates; it’s a matter of taking personal responsibility for your own space.</p>

<p>Excellent suggestions, thanks.</p>

<p>I like the under bed lockable box. S may not have anything valuable, in which case it’ll stay unlocked and serve as extra storage for a few items. If they’re having a party or some other open suite event, he can slip his MacBook in and <click> it’s safe from damage or mischief.</click></p>