San Diego State University Class of 2027 Official Thread

Nursing admits heard last year on March 14.

2 Likes

Does anyone know why CA schools are so much harder to get into than years ago? Is it because that many more people live here than in the 90ā€™s. It doesnā€™t make sense to me. USC used to be easy to get into or definitely much easier, now thatā€™s nuts too. It seems like it just keeps getting worse just in the last few years even. Iā€™m very thankful this is my last kid and she got into SDSU.

1 Like

Yes. I do. PM me and I can share my research.

2 Likes

I am sure other posters would be interested in your data. These are my thoughts and I am sure there is infinitely more reasons than the ones I have listed.

@CollegeMomCL2024

Just looking over the SDSU applications, I went back to 2006-2022 (limited by the data range). The number of First time Freshman applications has risen from 41,937 in 2006 to a high of 76,2881 in 2022.

1. Supply and demand are one of the reasons that California colleges are harder to get into.
  2. California has a high population with strong academic applicants.
  3. The CSUā€™s and UCā€™s offer good FA to California residents so staying in-state makes financial sense.
  4. The CSUā€™s and UCā€™s have gone test blind so applicants that had strong grades but not test scores are applying that may have not applied prior.
  5. As the competition for college acceptances increases, so do the # of schools applicants will apply.
  6. When I went to College in the 80ā€™s, a college degree was not a requirement for many jobs but now for most jobā€™s it is a must.
  7. Computerized applications has made it easier to apply to multiple schools. I applied to 2 schools using a paper application.

When I applied to Cal Poly Pomona, we did not have Honors/AP/IB or DE courses available. We did not have GPAā€™s over 4.0 and multiple Valedictorians. Since I was local, no SAT score required if my GPA was a 3.0 Unweighted and I was admitted.

12 Likes

5 year old article but explains it pretty well - more kids going to college and each of them applying to way more schools = lower acceptance rates. Is College Really Harder to Get Into Than It Used To Be? - The Atlantic

1 Like

Iā€™m also glad this is my last teen applying to college. I have 4 kids: my 2014 and 2016 high school grads applied to 9 colleges each (the standard ā€œ3 safeties 3 matches 3 reachesā€) and that was enough, while my 2021 and 2023 grads applied to 20 each. Test blind admissions in CA doubled the apps and made admissions more unpredictable.

5 Likes

Alsoā€¦I have lost confidence in the soundness of the selection process. This adds to the stress.

5 Likes

Trueā€¦ with recent articles/survey indicating lying on applications is rampant, it is difficult to have confidence in the system. IMO, the greatest loss moving to test-optional and test-blind policies is the loss of maybe the only truly objective metric in admissions (as imperfect as they are).

How much of the essays did applicants actually write themselves? Are the stories within even true? Are any of those ECs false or embellished?

With ~200k UC applications (and ~150k CSU), random auditing/sampling is ineffective at reasonable rates. HOW the AOs prevent this, and how they respond to it if detected would be great information, but unfortunately would probably provide a recipe for avoiding detection as well. The system is just broken, IMO.

4 Likes

Politics and social agendas are also at work. Money. Marketing strategies. Life is not perfect but the system might benefit (as well as our students and families) by reevaluating what the purpose of filling college campuses is. We are swapping one set of injustices for another, in my opinion. I should stop hereā€¦feeling strongly about the current ā€œinjusticesā€ I perceive. Anyway, it is not in our control at the present, soā€¦ we work with what we have and move on.

1 Like

I have read that UC does indeed do random sampling to check for accuracy of the apps and claimed ECs etc. Those students are notified in Dec to supply evidence of their awards and internships/jobs and ECs. Iā€™m not sure what Cal State does as far as random sampling, if anything.

1 Like

This is my last too, 3rd girl. Itā€™s changed a lot. BUT I do believe it all works out in the end, not the way we may expect, but it does. Itā€™s been a really really rough application year so far. Hoping for the best, and the right fit for my girl.

6 Likes

This is my third too (third boy). This one is applying as an Art major so it has been a very different experience in terms of all the extra essays and portfolios he had to submit! My oldest went to college in 2016 and I thought it was crazy hard thenā€¦But the one thing I saw then and then again with my 2020 HS graduateā€¦there are many schools in which our kids will be happy. They all end up in the right place for them. It may not be where they dreamed they would go, but it all ends up working out!

3 Likes

For the CSU admissions there are no ECā€™s or Essays so verification is not indicated other than checking to make sure that the academic section of the CSU application is correct. This is done by reviewing the final transcript and if there are any discrepancies with reported grades/courses then it could be grounds for rescinding the acceptance.

1 Like

@Doingthisthirdtime
My older daughter is in her second year at CSULB. She was heartbroken not to get into SDSU in 2021. She only applied to SDSU and CSULB, as her plan was to attend a community college in San Diego then transfer to SDSU after 1 year, if she didnā€™t get into SDSU (she had 30 DE credits from high school). Knowing that transfers to SDSU are not guaranteed, she decided to attend CSULB. She loves it there! It all worked out for the best!

6 Likes

Does anyone happen to know the Cal State acceptance rates for 2022. I found the UC ones and all seemed to go down except Riverside and Merced went up.

I have not been able to find a summary report of acceptance rates for all the CSUā€™s. You probably need to go onto each schoolā€™s website to determine 2022 admit rates. For SDSU, 2021 acceptance rate was 38% based on the linked Dashboard for First Time Freshman. On their analytics page for 2022, SDSUā€™s acceptance rate was 30% so definite decrease in the acceptance rate.

https://www.calstate.edu/data-center/institutional-research-analyses/Pages/applications-and-admissions.aspx

1 Like

I heard decisions are supposed to be starting to come out today, is that true? Cuz I saw the countdown and it says 40 minutes!

1 Like

I am not aware of any confirmed decision date and the countdown is based on last yearā€™s decision timeline.

What countdown did you see?

2 Likes