San Diego State University Class of 2027 Official Thread

Not super competitive to declare the major as long as you meet the grade requirements for the major prep. I cannot comment on weed out classes.

Preparation for the Major

(42 units)

These courses cannot be taken for credit/no credit (Cr/NC).

1 Like

The students there seem generally happy and he is excited to have a full college experience. The WUE thing will help too with the tuition agreement (Western Undergraduate Exchange where participating out of state colleges only charges 150% of in-state tuition for those who arenā€™t familiar)- very appealing incentive.

1 Like

CSUs only look at GPA/Demos. ECs are not factored

Out of curiosity, whatā€™s your kids major and CSU GPA? We looked at Arizona w/ scholarships and with WUE but the majors are extremely limited (Mining & Natural Resources) so WUE is out the window and even with their generous OOS scholarships for high stat kids it didnā€™t make sense for use to pay an extra $60K out of pocket over 4 years to consider Arizona U as an option. ASU for software engineering comes out to ~$25K w/ WUE and a OOS scholarship/year vs. ~$40K for AU in our case.

1 Like

My son had a 3.98 unweighted which is 30K annual scholarship at U of A. We were doing the financials last night and seems that it is comparable to SDSU in state. Maybe about 5K more for U of A. But I could be figuring it out wrong.

Sorry. On another tangent:
March Madness Basketball
First team going to Sweet 16!
SDSU: 75
Furman: 52

My apologies for the tangent.

6 Likes

I think itā€™s 4.2 but not sure I calculated correctly. U of Az, not ASU for us and still choosing it over CSULB or Northridge or Cal Poly Pomona where he was admitted months ago. Waitlisted at UCSC ? That was a gut punch and reality check for him.

My son got accepted to BS CS at SDSU and has had disappointments at most UCs so far, at this moment itā€™s between - SDSU, UCR, ASU, and Arizona. All roughly the same tuition since he got merit in Arizona schools. Anybody can share their experience about SDSU in the College of Science or any suggestions. ASU and UCR are in the College of Engineering for BS CS.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Not a tangent at all! Thanks for the update!

3 Likes

UofA is a great school, and provides a nice experience. A good high school friend of mine went to UofA (late 1990s) and is currently VP of a big Fortune 500 company in the Northeast. He has said many good things about the university and all of the post-graduation opportunities he found.

Daughter got in early at SDSU and is definitely considering (3.88 UW, 4.21W GPA). Waitlisted at every UC where she applied except UCSC. She as also accepted at CalPoly.

Given the high number of waitlist students and the overlap in applications from the same students at many UCs, the next few weeks will likely bring a whole new round of stress as waitlist offers come out.

Glad that this is our last of three going through the process!

1 Like

May I ask what her stats are?

1 Like

Parent of an SDSU CS grad. He was very happy with the program, involved in the Cybersecurity club and loved his 4 years as an Aztec.

Currently working as a Senior Cybersecurity analyst for Google.

9 Likes

I should know this but I donā€™tā€¦4.2 GPA. Great ECs, I donā€™t know how many APs.
Business major.

Accepted at UCSC,university of Oregon business school, UC riverside
Waitlisted at UW and Cal State Long Beach
Rejected at UCLA and UCI

Had SDSU ever accepted a student on their second choice of major?

SDSU does not consider alternate majors.

2 Likes

All acceptance and waitlisted came out already? Any hopes for next week or just waiting for reject notification?

Thanks!

Wow CSLB is hard to get into now

1 Like

Since I do not work in admissions, I cannot say for sure but there is always a chance that there will be more acceptances and waitlists but historically the chances for denials is higher.

2 Likes

CSUā€™s priority goes to local in-service area applicants and CSULB gives all CSU eligible local applicants a high priority for an acceptance. If they meet all CSU requirements and are not admitted into their first choice major, they will be offered Undeclared.

1 Like