San Diego State University Class of 2027 Official Thread

Great attitude. Will add that this morning a local senior who is valedictorian, straight A’s maxed out AP classes plus some community college work, eagle scout, student body president and 4 year athlete was rejected for biology this morning at SDSU. He too has other good options, but it’s still perplexing.

1 Like

Is it possible that some of these high-stat kids are getting rejected based on the assumption they’re going to one of the more prestigious schools? We typically focus on the floor to get in, but is there potentially a ceiling as well?

2 Likes

This could be something infamous called “Yield Protection”. If the AO knows such candidate will have 99.9% chance not to accept school offer, why bother? I think the college application system in US needs to be reformed. Each kid apply to 15-20 or more universities but can only take one. Such mess makes things too complicated and time-consuming. The denominator in acceptance rate is 5-10 times inflated.

4 Likes

I agree! I have always felt that there should be a per person application “limit” within each system - ie: CSU and UC…then kids would choose to apply only to the schools they are serious about attending…and the whole application numbers would not be so inflated…

3 Likes

Asian countries have max limits on how many colleges one can apply. For example, in China, it is 3. How about 8 max in US? if you have qualifications for Duke, UCLA, why bother to take the room from SDSU or SJSU from kids who are serious and where an offer is a make-break life event to them? Isn’t that immoral to take over other kids’ spots just for your selfish safety?

3 Likes

Love the idea. Not sure the schools would…they’re collecting lots of $$ with all of these applicants!

1 Like

and… we’re out! nice meeting you all. wish I could get dd to think about SJSU but looks we’re destined to pay double for one of the privates she did get accepted to :tired_face:

1 Like

My niece went to school in England and she said that it’s like a common app for Cambridge and related schools like that and you rank them. It goes to a centralized review board and they determine best fit vs your choice and you only get admitted to one school.

1 Like

They need to move the process up and get waitlists moving earlier. Applicants can only go to 1 school but are applying to so many given the diminishing odds of getting into any schools.

1 Like

Schools can’t get waitlists moving earlier since they need to know their yield so most have to wait until May 1. What applicants with multiple acceptances can do is to decline the schools they have no plans to attend early, once they have all their acceptances. Instead of waiting to the last minute or not at all.

4 Likes

Wishing you and your daughter the best! This process has taken years off my life!

Daughter rejected this morning in portal.
Major: Liberal Studies-Elementary Education
:broken_heart: this was her #1. NorCal

This is so comforting to hear, thank you!

2 Likes

Womp womp womp! We are outa here folks! Jr. was rejected today for CS, checked in the portal, no email. Best of luck to you all and your kiddos!

We’re off to figure out CPP vs. CSUF vs. ASU vs. some other CSUs for CS!

And thank you @Gumbymom! Your diligent moderation and sage advice has been very helpful over the years!

13 Likes

Had twins denied Monday night. GPA 3.9 History major, other 3.6 Business. For us was worth a shot. SDSU was my daughters first choice. That said she has been accepted to other great schools. I truly believe things happen for a reason. Think most kids will be happy wherever they go. There are many great universities in this country and that afford a memorable experience and quality education. I went to CU Boulder and loved it. Good luck to you all.

7 Likes

That would be difficult to control because every School is independent, not all state run. Also, sometimes kids choose their “safety” over “better” schools for personal reasons, such as wanting to stay close to home, or financial reasons, or they like the culture better. Not everyone automatically goes to the “best” school they can get in to.

6 Likes

Is the housing situation for freshmen as challenging as we are reading at other CA universities? Most students are required to be in triple ?

SDSU was overenrolled by around 1600 Freshman last year which made the on-campus housing more challenging. They have a 2 year on-campus housing requirement for all in-coming Freshman outside the local area. There is plenty of housing off-campus and the surrounding areas. Both my niece and son had no issues finding off campus housing but it is expensive. SDSU has expensive housing but it is there for students. The issue for some of the CA schools is that not only is housing expensive there is just not enough housing available for the students on and off campus.

3 Likes

Do you know which campuses do not have adequate off campus housing?

Not for the Cal states, but housing is an issue at UC Berkeley, Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara.

3 Likes