SAT Subject Tests

<p>Does anyone have experience with SAT subject test helping to get scholarships? My son is on the borderline for the guaranteed scholarships, and just got a 730 Math 2, and a 780 US History. He LOVES Alabama, and I’m just trying to think of every possibility for financial help for him.</p>

<p>Also, would the 730 Math 2 be used at all for his math placement if he went to Alabama? He has a scheduling conflict and will probably be in AP Stat for his senior year, and not AP Calc.</p>

<p>Thanks for any thoughts!</p>

<p>Many UA departments have scholarship money for freshman. It varies, so you’ll have to inquire directly.</p>

<p>idk if the subject tests will help. my guess is no.</p>

<p>he still has time to retake the actual SAT or ACT in the fall. some kids can raise their score a lot … and some can’t.</p>

<p>^^ Agree with Mike. I’m not aware that SAT II’s are considered, and that Math II score is only about 74th percentile (albeit from a much more select group of test takers). Definitely have him take the SAT/ACT again. My D’s first ACT score was only good enough for the 2/3 OOS scholarship, but she qualified for the Presidential on the last ACT test before the deadline. You can have some pretty wild score swings on those tests - sometimes all it requires is one test date where your kid and the questions are in sync.</p>

<p>While UA has been known to raise the scholarships for those who have sightly under the required stats, the best advice is to keep retaking the tests (UA only accepts test scores up to a certain test date) and try the ACT. The additional scholarship money would cover the cost of the additional test(s).</p>

<p>The SAT subject tests would provide additional reason to award higher scholarships, but it is not guaranteed that UA would consider the scores. I am not familiar with the use of SAT subject test scores in math placement.</p>

<p>If your son has the time this summer or next, he could take Calculus I at a community college.</p>

<p>I echo the suggestion to take the ACT (again). It is more knowledge-based than the SAT. Your son’s high SAT II scores may be indicative of a higher ACT score. At least, that is how it was for my D (higher SAT IIs and ACT than SAT). </p>

<p>TXArchitect, what departmental scholarships for freshmen are you referring to?</p>

<p>When we visited, the PR/Advertising department and the business school both indicated that they had scholarships that are awarded through the Scholarship Application process. These scholarships vary from rather general merit-based to scholarships that are hometown/family situation/gender/you-name-it-specific-as-it-can-get-endowed scholarships.</p>

<p>We came away with the notion that you are considered for such scholarships from within the college/school in which the student declares the MAJOR.</p>

<p>We have a question into the admissions office regarding whether students who declare dual majors from two different colleges (such as business AND communications) will be considered for scholarships in BOTH. The initial answer was that the current process does not accomodate consideration in more than ONE college…but we are investigating further.</p>

<p>That’s really all I know, except that you should be able to drill down and obtain the lists and requirements of major-specific scholarships…</p>

<p>Good Luck - RTR</p>

<p>I don’t think you can list two majors before you are actually attending class. That is what we’ve been told as my D has tried to show both of her majors. Initially, she showed Pre-Med. We had them switch it to History for that exact reason (hoping for scholarships). Not surprise scholarships showed up :slight_smile: She is also majoring in Math but, again, that can’t be listed until after class begins. </p>

<p>As a side note, D has decided not to be pre-med! That made scheduling much easier as she has completed her science requirements through APs.</p>

<p>LatteLady,</p>

<p>I think you are absolutely correct.</p>

<p>That would suggest that, declared majors being otherwise equal, a thourough investigation into potential scholarship funds might well swing the initial Declaration of Major in the direction of the Most-Well-Endowed…</p>

<p>It sounds like you were a savey beneficiary of such an approach!</p>

<p>My understanding is that the departmental scholarships for the most part are not awarded to freshmen who are already receiving significant university scholarships. So if a student doesn’t qualify for the NMF or Presidential, there might be a chance for a departmental scholarship. I’m sure there are exceptions.</p>

<p>SAT II scores won’t help with scholarships. The reason Bama only uses SAT I and ACT scores is because that helps to raise middle quartiles, while SAT IIs don’t do anything to help the school. </p>

<p>it sounds like your son needs to retake the SAT and also take the ACT.</p>

<p>What is his M+CR score now?</p>

<p>and what is his major?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t count on dept scholarships…those tend to be small. Only talent ones are larger. and, if you’ve gotten a significant university scholarship, then you won’t get a dept scholarship…eng’g and talent exceptions.</p>

<p>You can’t get scholarships for two majors because you can ONLY declare ONE major as an incoming frosh. You can declare a second major later…after you matriculate.</p>

<p>When we visited, the PR/Advertising department and the business school both indicated that they had scholarships that are awarded through the Scholarship Application process. These scholarships vary from rather general merit-based to scholarships that are hometown/family situation/gender/you-name-it-specific-as-it-can-get-endowed scholarships.</p>

<p>I can almost assure you that a NMF, Presidential, and likely UA Scholar scholarship recipient would not be given one of those dept scholarships. The school and depts really try to award those dept scholarships to kids who didn’t get the big scholarships (for whatever reason…maybe GPA just under 3.5, but high ACT/SAT).</p>

<p>It’s actually his GPA that misses. He has a 3.4 weighted. Right now he has a 1310 SAT 640CR and 670M. He is working on it over the summer and retaking in Oct. I will say he truly does go to a very well regarded high school, and has sports, music, service, and student gov leadership, and outstanding teacher recs. He is the kind of kid who would fare well in a holistic admissions environment. </p>

<p>Just my luck he fell in love with a school that is really numbers driven!</p>

<p>Thank you for your replies!</p>

<p>One of the reasons it is less likely for a freshman to receive a departmental scholarship is because of the desire of the benefactors to be sure the money they contribute goes to a deserving student who will successfully complete their declared program of study. That’s why they are usually awarded to upperclassmen, but NOT always. They really don’t want people declaring a specific major for the money and then switching majors. Sometimes students declare a major and then find they need to change which is understandable, but doing so intentionally just for the scholarship money hurts worthy students and doesn’t sit well with the scholarship benefactor. In many instances, the benefactors are not only UA alumni, but are also members of the local community within their field. Recipients of departmental scholarships and alumni scholarships are often required to attend scholarship luncheons with their benefactor and rightfully so.</p>

<p>I’ve wondered if a student takes a summer online HS level class, does that get factored into the GPA for scholarships?</p>

<p>I would also have him take the ACT. Right now, his SAT isn’t high enough for the larger scholarships either. </p>

<p>But, if he gets his SAT up, or gets a high ACT…and he applies early, Bama might give him a substantial scholarship.</p>

<p>Also, have him apply elsewhere (peer school or other flagship) that would give him good merit and then see if Bama will match it…a school like Miss State or Ole Miss, etc. Bama will sometimes do this for EARLY applicants who ask. However, as time goes on, Bama runs out of merit money and then can’t do it.</p>

<p>Just a note…if someone is wanting consideration for dept scholarships, do not list “pre-med” or “pre-law” (or similar) as your major. Those aren’t really majors, so they don’t have any dept scholarships.</p>

<p>Just the advice I was looking for. He is applying as soon as the application is up, but we won’t know about financial packages from other schools until March. </p>

<p>We are hoping to visit after my son takes the Oct SAT. If he can break 1400 do you think the scholarship office would meet with us?</p>

<p>Thanks for your advice.</p>

<p>^^^
If you apply to a school or two that awards merit early like Bama does, then you’ll know before March for those schools.</p>

<p>If your son gets a 1400+ on the October or November SAT, then you wouldn’t meet with the Scholarship office (they don’t have the power to over-ride their scholarship minimums), you’d send a letter to Mary Spiegel, Exec Director of Admission…she’s the one with the power to award outside of the minimums. </p>

<p>I would sign up for both Oct and Nov SAT (and ACT) exams. You want the highest scores possible. It’s harder to say “no” if the M+CR is a 1450+ (or an ACT 33+), then it would be if the scores just hit the minimums.</p>

<p>Great. Thank you!</p>