Scholarship Loss/Probation?

<p>I am a freshman at UA, here on the Presidential Scholarship. I have been having a rough first semester here, and have been having some problems this semester with physics, and have been trying to bring my grade up, but I don’t think that I will be able to pull a 3.0 GPA because of it. Does this mean I will lose my scholarship completely, or will I be on scholarship probation? If so, how exactly does that work? I have tried to find the information on the scholarship website, but I can’t seem to locate it anywhere. </p>

<p>Grades are not evaluated until the end of the year, so you have next semester to pull your grades up. If at the end of the year, your cumulative GPA is below a 3.0, then you are placed on probation. You have an additional semester to improve your grades before losing your scholarship.</p>

<p>Thank you so much, jrcsmom!!! Where did you find this? I couldn’t find it anywhere!</p>

<p>@abbiegibson13‌ </p>

<p>be sure that you take a bit lighter load next semester to bring up your grades, but also to prevent you from being overloaded.</p>

<p>It’s unusual to take physics as a fall frosh…was that because you had a lot of AP credits?</p>

<p>I also haven’t been able to find the process on the website quickly. I know because I’ve been reading this site for about 3 years and am also a member of the parent’s Facebook group and this is a frequent question that comes up almost every semester. I do remember reading something that confirmed what I’d read here at one time, perhaps it was the information in writing that was sent with the scholarship notification? </p>

<p>Thank you both so much @jrcsmom‌ and @mom2collegekids‌! And yes @mom2collegekids I came in with 30 credits and all of my maths already finished, so there was really nothing stopping me from taking it. Bad decision on my part.</p>

<p>If anyone out there has an actual webpage or link to this scholarship probation info/process, please do share it! </p>

<p>I would hate for students to rely solely on what has been discussed on FB and CC, and then wait-and-see what happens. Even if the advice is 100% true and accurate, one reason this info is probably not in writing on UA’s website (i.e., easily available) is because UA wants the student to come in and talk with someone and show initiative to correct the problem themselves. </p>

<p>Students should not just breathe a sigh of relief that they have an additional semester and then hope for the best the following semester. The student should, at the very least, go in to their academic advisor immediately and document in person that he/she (the student) is concerned and willing to work to get the GPA up. (Student would have met with an advisor earlier in fall semester in order to register for spring classes, so perhaps the problems have been since that advisory meeting?)</p>

<p>There are many other ways to work through academic issues and ensure success, including: attend all classes; attend all labs; ask questions in class; see professors/TAs after hours; attend all recitations; do all the homework and projects, on time (even if these aren’t graded); seek free tutoring through UAs Center for Academic Success and/or COE’s Engenuity lab; seek copies of old exams for sample questions; study with classmates; talk with academic advisor; drop the class by the mid-term deadline; re-take the class next semester. If I were sitting in the scholarship office making a decision about probation, I would ask the students how many of these things they have done (aside from drop the class). </p>

<p>This all said, you are not alone, OP - UA cares a great deal about its students and their success. You’ve taken the first step by acknowledging the problem. Please seek additional help to get yourself back on track. Good luck going forward! </p>

<p>^^^Great advice.
The student must be proactive in addressing the issue. The student needs to sort out the reasons why their grades are suffering, and begin a plan to change their behavior immediately. </p>

<p>They should also be completely honest when assessing the situation. If there are any mental or physical problems versus just poor study habits or not understanding class material, then those problems need to be discussed with a professional. There is counseling available on campus and the student health center is a good place to take the first step in seeking advice.</p>

<p>However, I hope that you have been able to speak with your parents and share your problems and frustrations. It is important to keep an open line of communication with them. Be honest, tell them what has happened and have a gameplan in mind to correct this situation. I am positive that I speak for all the parents here, we would want to know if anything is wrong with our sons/daughters and we would want to help. </p>

<p>Also, just so you know, if you repeat a class at UA, the grade is Not replaced. There is no grade replacement at UA</p>

<p>OP - yes, find the info on UA web site, talk to your advisor. Do everything you can in all your classes to have your best effort/best grade. Make sure your hours fall/spring make the requirement as well required by scholarship. Also doesn’t hurt to talk to office that handles these scholarships - sometimes they can explain something that could help you, or put some kind of a notation about your situation, so when these things get evaluated, they have more info. Don’t know timing or how UA informs about probation - if on your UA email. Can you do a course maybe on-line which could help? I know student spring schedules are under confirmation process now…</p>

<p>I would recommend you email <a href=“mailto:scholarships@ua.edu”>scholarships@ua.edu</a> and ask about renewal terms, probationary terms, reinstatement, etc. It should all be in your original scholarship award letter, but if you don’t have that, you need to find out something in writing from the university for future reference. </p>