Scholarship Offers are up on MyBama

<p>scholarships up for the incoming freshman only? Not the returning students, correct?</p>

<p>Arrgggghhh… I’ve got to wait until S gets home from soccer practice to find out!! <em>chews nails</em></p>

<p>Best of luck Dominar and everyone else who is still waiting!</p>

<p>If the student lists Univ of Alabama as their first choice school with National Merit, does the student still need to send a copy of the National merit letter to UA? We did not know anything about sending a copy of his NMF letter until reading this post.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes, you do need to send. don’t worry, you’re not too late.</p>

<p>After reading this thread yesterday (Friday) I called and found out how/where to send a copy of my son’s NMF certificate. Scanned it in and emailed at 1pm. His NMF scholarship package was posted on MyBama by close of business the same day - they said the snail mail copy would be arriving next week. WOW!</p>

<p>GAMom to 4, could you reply or message me the email address so my son can get his scanned and emailed this weekend?</p>

<p>Also do any NMFs know how the board part of room and board is quantified on the list of scholarships? We understood that the freshman year of room and board was included in the NMF scholarship.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for sharing this information. It can be a little overwhelming!</p>

<p>Board has never been part of the NMF scholarship. Only “room”. And now, only for frosh year. </p>

<p>Not sure what you’re asking about quantification. A NMF can choose a four bedroom super suite and it will be covered for frosh year.</p>

<p>email address is <a href=“mailto:scholarships@ua.edu”>scholarships@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Hi SpaceCoast,
I’ll post this in case anyone else needs this info. The email contact I was given is:
“Elliott, Katie” <a href=“mailto:katie.elliott@ua.edu”>katie.elliott@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>I received a very nice reply as well.</p>

<p>^^SpaceCoast - freshmen year housing shows up as :</p>

<p>Presidential Nat’l Housing Sch </p>

<p>Semester Allowance - $4400.00</p>

<p>Total Terms - 2</p>

<p>The NMF housing allowance is for $4400/term confuses me because the cost of a four bedroom suite is $4700/term. Does anyone know if its just a typo or what?</p>

<p>^ It will be adjusted. Don’t worry about the dollar figure.</p>

<p>?? Usually the NMF housing scholarship shows up as a lowish annual amount (about $5k per year) but will get increased to the cost of a 4 room suite if chosen.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the information. It is a big help to us. I guess it was wishful thinking about the “board” of room and board :slight_smile: Regardless UA is being extremely good to us!</p>

<p>Is there any chance that not all notifications have been sent out? When S and I visited the school last spring, a staff person there strongly suggested that S could expect some $ from the business school in addition to the Presidential but only the latter is listed on his myBama page. :(</p>

<p>to dominar - I hope that there are more to come but we are planning for what is on the scholarship page. We had to hoped to land something from the Alumni Chapter too but oh well. Good luck to you and your son.</p>

<p>We were hoping for something from the local Alumni Chapter as well. Has anyone gotten notification from their local chapter?</p>

<p>*When S and I visited the school last spring, a staff person there strongly suggested that S could expect some $ from the business school in addition to the Presidential *</p>

<p>That’s a little strange that the staff member would say that. First of all, there are too many who get the Presidential. </p>

<p>In the past, dept scholarships have more rarely been given to those with the Presidential (except for eng’g and a few other more unique circumstances or talent $). The depts tend to “spread the money” around to those who didn’t get the big scholarships.</p>

<p>That said, those who qualify for the university Alumni scholarships should get those. I don’t know about local chapter awards.</p>

<p>In the case of the Chicago alumni group, they too tend to award their scholarship to those students who did not receive the Presidential scholarship.</p>

<p>As to timing, I also know that the Chicago alumni group receives a list of names from UA and will contact students and invite them to apply in March or April.</p>

<p>No idea if this is the same process/timing for all alumni groups. I only know what I know from talking with my Chicago alum buddies.</p>

<p>@mom – the financial person definitely told us that S would get his tuition covered by the Presidential and could expect more from Culverhouse, perhaps enough to cover most of his room and board. I certainly understand and applaud the desire to spread the money around, though. Just want to be sure we have all available info before making the final decision.</p>