Scholarships and Financial Aid on Howdy Portal

The Financial Aid tab on the Howdy Portal was just now updated with 2017-2018 Scholarship and Financial Aid decisions!! Good luck to all!!

Please note this doesn’t mean that all scholarship decisions have been made, only that some are starting to show up on the portal.

You are likely right. However, the portal was down for 24ish hours with a notice that it would come back up by Jan 24th at 5pm in order to update the 2017-2018 financial aid awards. So I would guess that a big chunk of decisions were added.

Hello,
I just contacted the scholarships and financial aid office if they are still giving out scholarships after the update in the portal because I didn’t get any. Here is their email:

Our office has awarded all freshmen scholarships. You can check with your college or department. The colleges and departments tend to award scholarships in a different time frame. Below you will find the contact information for the College of Engineering.

Tammy Thomas (979) 458-9662 tammy-t-thomas@tamu.edu

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks & Gig’em!

Very disappointed.

Hang in there folks. Still lots of college and/or departmental scholarships remaining. Heck, the Engineering department hasn’t even finished their admit process yet.

If you post details of your scholarship PLEASE also differentiate if it was a need based award vs. merit.

Grants are need based awards.

I contacted the engineering department, they said that they expect to release scholarship decisions from mid to late February.

I just found this out about choice of major in Engineering. As most of us know, it doesn’t lock you into anything right now as a freshman, but when it comes to the departmental scholarships that they are awarding now, if you are awarded, you will either get something from the general college engineering, or from your first choice major department. Maybe both for some fortunate ones. In our case, electrical engineering is not offering scholarships to incoming freshmen. That was a bummer. But, we will continue to hold out hope for something from the overall department. They recommend checking with your first choice major individual department (not the general engineering number) to see if they’re offering scholarships to incoming freshmen. Also, if I had to guess, and this is absolutely just a guess out of my head, I would imagine that they would wait until after Aggieland Saturday (2/11) to roll anything out. Can you imagine all of us anxious parents and hopeful students showing up to the department asking a thousand questions about the scholarships on that day? LOL! Again, just my personal opinion.

My first choice major is Mechanical Engineering. How do I check with individual departments?

Here is the link to the COE’s site, and if you look at the middle of the page, the different departments are listed there. I hope this helps! https://engineering.tamu.edu, and here’s the contact page for mechanical: https://engineering.tamu.edu/mechanical/contact

Thank You :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if these are final offers? We have a FAFSA error that we are having to correct manually through snail mail and paper forms. I have an email into the Financial Aid office but I’m sure they are swamped and it may take days to hear from them.

@texastkc I don’t know if they are final offers for those still working on FAFSA, but a few of us did find out by email from SFAID that they were finished awarding merit based scholarships. That might not affect grants or loan offers though.