Seen any good movies lately?

I think this was recommended here weeks or months ago, but I only just got around to “Good Night Oppy” on Prime. I was looking for something both H & I would like but neither had seen, and this hit the spot. A documentary about the Mars rovers that launched in 2004 and lasted way longer than anyone thought they would. I didn’t think I would tear up during a mission control “wake up” song for a robot!

2 Likes

You were not alone tearing up. :slight_smile: We loved this documentary!

1 Like

To anyone who’s never seen The Quiet Man, it’s a classic movie starring John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara and well worth checking out. I enjoyed it much more than The Banshees.

1 Like

We watch the Quiet Man every March. It was filmed at Ashford Castle in Cong, County Mayo. Ashford Castle is now a 5-star hotel, we stayed there as part of a tour of Ireland in 2017.

Comparing The Quiet Man to Banshees of Inisherin is like comparing apples to salmon----COMPLETELY different!

1 Like

I’ve stayed at Ashford Castle too. Very nice.

1 Like

I will say this about The Quiet Man----if my two very progressive thinking feminist daughters were to watch it, how women and their (lack of) rights are portrayed, their heads would simultaneously explode!! Gotta love 1950’s attitudes!

Before anyone points out that the movie takes place in the 1920s-1930s, it is a work of pure fiction and shows an idealized idyllic picture of the Emerald Isle.

2 Likes

Mud Bound

The Land of Steady Habits

I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore–Elijah Woods & Melanie Lynsky (Rose from 2.5 Men)

Old Henry (2021) Tim Blake Nelson (On Showtime) western

There are a lot of 1950s movies and books that I just can’t enjoy anymore.

9 Likes

1000% agree, many just haven’t aged well.

3 Likes

There are some about the 50’s or later, made recently, that are good because they highlight the negative effects of those 50’s attitudes, and depict women rising above the male tide…Mad Men, On the Basis of Sex, and the much-lamented Good Girls Revolt. I have a couple of acquaintances that couldn’t stomach Mad Men, though…

I watched a few Mad Men and was one of those who just couldn’t take it. Not just the attitudes though. I also just didn’t like anyone in the show.

Saw About My Father yesterday and enjoyed it.

It has mixed reviews but my sister and I both thought it was funny. Rotten Tomatoes has only 33% of critics liking it but 79% of the audience liking it. Robert DeNiro was great and I really enjoyed seeing Kim Cattrall again.

1 Like

We watched Blackberry last night. It was good and interesting, but there was a lot of shouting by two characters in particular. I can’t deal with lots of shouting, so that was a turn off.

1 Like

Not a 50s movie, but I watched Blazing Saddles (1974) with my D the other night. She had never watched it nor had I. Wow—talk about something being politically incorrect!!! Some stuff was funny—slapstick almost.

3 Likes

I watched Bama Rush (Max, formerly HBO Max). I’d give it a 7 out of ten, but especially interesting to me having witnessed the long battles concerning Greek life at UA on CC back in the day.

There’s a whole thread devoted to Bama Rush

“And here’s a stick to beat her with.” Very idyllic. (But I love the movie and have watched it 100 times)

My “idyllic” comment refers to the scenery, emerald isle, etc.

My original post already addressed the political incorrectness of the movie. Why would you think I thought beating one’s wife was “idyllic”?

We watched Renfeld last night. We both liked it a lot. But warning - it’s just a fun, cheesy movie. Nicholas Cage - enough said. Free on Peacock

1 Like

We watched “Where the Crawdads Sing” this evening and it was soooooooooo slow. And long. I like it but hubby was struggling. It’s very beautiful cinematography. But too long.

1 Like