Seen any good movies lately?

Watched Schindler’s List (outstanding) twice over the past few weeks. Also, The Zookeeper’s Wife (decent).

War movie The Outpost was fine.

Reptile (2023) on Netflix with Benicio Del Toro was interesting.

P.S. First They Killed My Father was great. Directed by Angelina Jolie.

Saw What’s Love Got to do with It. Very enjoyable rom-com about a woman making a documentary about her best friend deciding to go with an arranged marriage to a woman he’s never met in Pakistan. While it was obvious who would end up together, there were some nice twists and turns.

3 Likes

We just walked out of that movie, Killers of the Flower Moon, after an hour. Great acting, but we couldn’t stand the injustice, knew it would get worse and had to leave. The fact that it was true made it worse. Guess we’re just getting old, want happy and uplifting movies, couldn’t take the blood pressure rise.

I probably wouldn’t watch that movie for the same reason. :cry:

That reminds me that we want to see that movie. I need something uplifting and positive!!!

1 Like

If you are looking for something light, here’s one we liked (I think on Amazon Prime)…

9 Likes

I think that’s right up our alley.:+1:

2 Likes

You will like both A Million Miles Away and Mrs Harris…! :slight_smile:

I’m actually looking forward to Meg Ryan’s new romcom! Supposed to be in the theaters next week. Date night at the bougie theater with some vino. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

We go to the Cinemark at Totem Lake. Love the popcorn, $6 movies, pre-selected seats and the fact that they never search my bag for the wine bottle that invariably inhabits it. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve seen previews for that movie (Killers of the Flower Moon) and felt the same way - just can’t bear to subject myself to the heartbreak.

I’m also looking for uplifting movies so really appreciate these suggestions!

Past Lives wasn’t per se cheerful but was uplifting in a bittersweet way…!

1 Like

I enjoyed You Hurt My Feelings. The awkward anniversary present scene really resonated with me. Gift giving is so complicated. I thought Toby Menzies did a good job, so different than The Crown or (especially) Outlander.

We watched Toscana on Netflix. I nice sweet story. Open a bottle of wine and it’s even better.

I saw Mrs. Harris at a film festival–highly recommend it.

4 Likes

We rewatched A Man Called Otto last night. Well worth rewatching.

3 Likes

Fun! The old one? Or the new Otto, with Tom Hanks? They both are good. (Book is excellent too)

2 Likes

The new one. We watched both last year. Both are excellent. The Swedish movie is more focused on Ove’s past, the American one shows key past moments as Otto’s memories.

1 Like

Mixed by Erry- Netflix - true story and fun to watch. The Italian and translations are fast.

I watched “Rabbit Hole” with Nicole Kidman last night. It’s from 2010. Based on a Pulitzer-prize winning play. The acting and directing are excellent, but boy, tough to watch. It’s about a couple who lose their young son, their only child, in an accident. It was hard to sleep afterwards. I am NOT going to let DH watch it. He couldn’t even take “Finding Nemo,” no joking.

Watched Killers of the Flower Moon. Riveting, tragic, gritty -Scorsese at his best. Knew we were in it for a ride when the DeNiro character flashed a big Travis Bickle smile at the beginning of the movie. DiCaprio had this weird Jack Nicholson look. Not sure how much was makeup/prosthetics vs DeCaprio morphing into Nicholson as he gets older!

2 Likes

I saw this years ago and agree it is excellent, but a hard watch.