Seen any good movies lately?

I saw a couple of people upthread mention The Burial (Jamie Foxx and Tommy Lee Jones), but another big thumbs up here. It was free on Amazon prime.

Willie E. Gary (Foxx) a personal injury lawyer, helps Jeremiah Joseph O’Keefe (Jones), a funeral home owner with financial troubles, save his family business from a nasty large corporation. Set in Mississippi. Inspired by a true story in the mid 90s.

5 Likes

I saw the Indian Jones movie on the plane and felt it was just meh, but liked seeing Lance from the Detectorists!

Also saw What’s Love Got to Do with It and thought it had some nice surprises without straying too far from its rom-com roots.

Inspired by our air travel gripes thread, I asked Mr. if he wanted to watch Airplane! Oh yes! :laughing:

That movie always makes us laugh until we cry! We’ve been saying those lines for decades!:rofl:

1 Like

A real classic! :rofl: Our favorite.

A dying breed of comedy… they don’t make them like they used to! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have any of you seen “The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar", a Roald Dahl short story brought to the screen? It is the strangest, weirdest, most imaginative, funniest thing I’ve ever seen. Just utterly charming. I imagine this is going to be one of those you either love or hate.

Fantastic! Love Wes Anderson films of any length!

1 Like

It was oddly fascinating - loved the look and acting.

1 Like

Nyad on Netflix, Annette Benning and Jodie Foster, wow

And, Beckham, did not know about his dramatic journey

3 Likes

I’m curious about this movie. I went to a presentation by Dianna Nyad about 40 years ago not too long after her crossing of the channel.

1 Like

My kid is on a David Lynch binge. Just rewatched Twin Peaks. We discovered a Disney movie he made in 1999 called The Straight Story. It’s based on the true story of a WW2 vet who drives across Iowa into Wisconsin on his lawnmower to visit his estranged brother. We really enjoyed it.

1 Like

What did you think of the film? Mixed echoes so unsure.

I haven’t seen it. I’ve been too busy but when I heard about it I was curious.

1 Like

Since I’ve been learning Spanish for almost a year, I’d be interested in watching some movies with subtitles. They don’t have to be new, but don’t recommend Buñuel! Those movies are too weird! We did watch Roma a few years ago. Alternatively, I’d be up for a good telenovella.

For starters: films by Pedro Almodovar (e.g. Todo sobre mi madre, La mala educación), Hable con ella, Mar adentro, El laberinto del fauno

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, directed by Jimmy
Chin and his wife Vasarhelyi, who directed Meru , and Free Solo, two other movies I saw of supreme athletic endurance …

I recommended it to friends. Annette Benning and Jodie Foster add to the enjoyment. Benning 65 trained for a year for this role, Foster worked out following the woman she portrayed athletic training and diet, and is in amazing shape!

4 Likes

100% - great films!

1 Like

I am also a big Almodovar fan. Some of my favorite movies are All About My Mother, Volver, and Parallel Mothers. The Academy Museum in Los Angeles currently has an exhibit of his work. I highly recommend visiting this museum to anyone, but especially cinephiles.

I knew you’d come through! Thanks.

Wow, just finished Nyad - what a story and a great film!

1 Like