Seen any good movies lately?

Has anyone seen The Holdovers?
Kudos to the props dept. because seeing the trailer I was confused whether it was an actual 70s film I’d never seen or sth just released. I only saw the trailer but it seems college-confidential appropriate.

1 Like

Is it just me or is there a severe drought of movies? I miss originality…although I’m looking forward to seeing Aqua Man.

1 Like

Napoleon looks promising based on the trailer.

3 Likes

Multiple industry wide strikes will do that.

2 Likes

I’m going to see it tonight, so I’ll let you know what I think.

2 Likes

Yeah…All I have left to watch is Loki. I think I’ll take up reading again.

I have always thought that Blue Velvet directed by David Lynch is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. Very dark but remarkably good.

We have been watching a 4 part series based upon the novel All The Light We Cannot See. Rotten Tomato critics have panned it but viewers (including us) really like it. The lead is a blind woman (the character is blind) who had never acted or auditioned before and is quite impressive. The funniest part is Mark Rufalo trying to do a British/French accent.

My husband started watching this while I’m in Texas and said he likes it a lot. He’s pretty particular so I will try it when I return.

Heard a great review of this on NPR today—we’ll probably watch it in the next few days. The young actor Dominic Sessa had no professional acting experience—he did do drama at Deerfield Academy (where he went to high school). Reviewers on NPR gave him an A+ for his performance.

5 Likes

I just saw Killers of the Flower Moon and plan to see the following this month—Saltburn, The Holdovers, Dream Scenario (new Nicolas Cage movie), and Napoleon.

3 Likes

The Holdovers is very good, but heavier than I expected. Parts of it hit close to home for my sister and me.

1 Like

Thank you.

Watched The Fabelmans last night. I knew the premise, but not much else. His mother - yikes. It was a fascinating film.

4 Likes

The leading young actor went to Deerfield, class of 2022. His very first film role! I thought he did a great job.

2 Likes

Has anyone watched The Qatsi Trilogy? My H really wants to watch it, but I’m reluctant. There’s no dialog or narration–just images and music (Philip Glass). The three films were produced over the span of 20 years and they focus on the effects of technologic advances over the years. (It’s not good.)

I saw the first one (Koyaanisqatsi). It’s sort of mesmerizing, but also sort of boring in my opinion. I do still remember the images of rush hour traffic from the air. Not much else though.

1 Like

I’m friends with the sound engineer of Koyaanisqatsi…which is the Hopi word for life out of balance.

If you see it, knowing the definition, I think you’d find it fascinating -

I got to meet Mr. Glass in NYC about 10 years ago. He’s a high intellectual, which his films and music show - you sometimes need to just close your eyes and let the sounds pour over you.

2 Likes

Not a new movie, but ShawWife and I just watched The Unbearable Lightness and Being. Very good movie. Lots of sexual scenes.

We watched Nyad on Netflix…. thought it was really good. Annette Bening and Jodie Foster did a fine job in their parts, though I’m not used to them (or me) at age 60-something.

5 Likes

We re-watched Wag the Dog.. So good! And so relevant.

(Anne Heche was great in it. :mending_heart: )

1 Like