Should I apply ED or RD at msu

GPA: Fresh 2.7, soph 2.6, JR 4.0UW/4.2W, Sr first quarter projections 4.0/4.5

SAT: 1380

Act: 32

atended a private school
2 years of varsity sport
100 service hours
7 aps taken

What is your cumulative unweighted gpa, core courses only?

Are you a Michigan State resident?

Mich State has early action, not early decision. Are you asking if you should wait until the RD round so that you can (hopefully) show strong senior year grades?

In addition to the questions above, what is your intended major?

Ordinarily I’d say to wait until RD so there would be another semester of solid grades to report, but the popular majors at MSU can fill up in EA (they don’t have ED).

3.4 UW, in state, intended major is CS

I think you are going to need to apply EA.

2 Likes

What is the reasoning for ea? I thought it might be better to do RD to show more improved growth into my senior year

From MSU: “Michigan State University continues to accept undergraduate applications as long as space is still available. However, the number of qualified applicants has exceeded available space in recent years, so students should apply by November 1 to ensure highest consideration.”

CS is a very popular major. You run the risk of having very limited seats available in RD.

5 Likes

I agree with momofboiler1 you should apply EA. Ask your HS guidance counselor to send over your Q1 grades if they are good, they should be available in early/mid Nov, no?

Does your HS use Naviance or Scoir? If so, what does the MSU scattergram show for your stats? What is your math ACT score? What math class will you have senior year?

On your other post you stated you had 1580, 35 act.
And slightly different GPA 2.8,2.7, 4.0/4.7, 4.0/5.0
Which is correct?

Always apply EA when given the chance.

IMO there are a few exceptions when RD may be better – for example if an applicant feels a need to show strong first semester senior year grades to be academically competitive, if an applicant expects a major accomplishment to occur after the ED deadline etc.

I should of finished the sentence… Always apply to MSU Early Action… Sorry. No reason to wait and the app comes out soon.

Closing temporarily while I await the OP’s explanation for discrepancies in threads

1 Like