Should I apply test optional to Smith College?

Hi! Smith College is test optional and I don’t think it reports its average test scores, so I was wondering if it would benefit me to report my score. I have a 1460, with a 770 on Reading/Writing and a 690 on Math.

Any insight would be super helpful! Thank you :slight_smile:

Here’s Smith’s last common data set:

Look at section C9. It has the percentage of students who submitted scores and then the 25th and 75th percentile.

Based on that information, I’d go ahead and submit.

1 Like

You can find out a lot of information about a college by googling “(College name) Common Data Set”. Here is what I came up with for Smith: https://www.smith.edu/about-smith/institutional-research-smith-data

Scroll down a little on that page and you will see PDFs for each year.

Looking at the most recent PDF, here is what I see about SAT ranges for the freshman class (remember that these ranges are for attending students, not admitted students):

You can get more information by browsing through the PDF, but in general, it looks like your 770 EBRW is very strong for this school (above 75th percentile) and your 690 Math is above 25th percentile. Does this help?

Yes - submit - you are over the halfway point between 25th and 75th and only 54% submitted, so you’re likely to be seen as a very good scorer.

Good luck.

2 Likes

great, thank you so much!

Yes, this is super helpful. Thank you!

My D22 was admitted to Smith last year with a 1470 (710 R/W and 760 Math). I’d go ahead and submit

Hi, just remember that these are scores of admitted students, so they may be slightly lower than all the submitted scores.

You can get the most recent test scores by reaching out to the admissions office as those scores will become general knowledge soon.

I’d err on the conservative side and submit if you’re at least at the 51% mark or above and scores will most likely trend higher from the most recent application cycle, as the ones from the most recent common data set are already more than a year old.

I join the throng in recommending that you submit your 1460 to Smith

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.