should i go to A&M?

<p>I really like A&M, its feel and academics, but I'm not a fan of football and traditions. I never watch football, and am don't like participating in traditions, and i dont like partying either. so if i come here i'll just end up being a 2 percenter, would it be worth coming here, or should i just stick to something like university of houston where most of the people are like me? thx</p>

<p>The “feel” of Texas A&M is its rich traditions. I have a hard time believing you like the feel of A&M but would not enjoy its traditions, that is what A&M is about. You wouldn’t be the only one who wouldnt be going to football games - lots of fun, but if it isnt your thing, then dont spend 4 hours on a Saturday standing in the sun.
I would guess you would find others exactly like yourself to spend time with. If you like A&M then go to A&M - it is your education. Your decision - go to a top rated university - or UofH.</p>

<p>thx, and by the feel of A&M i meant the ‘not in the city’ feel and the the friendliness. do people still fit in if they don’t really participate in any tradition? like i saw that recent A&M video where a lot of students did this one dance outside, i’m not the kind of person who does those things. i prefer A&M over UH bc of the better rankings etc, but i’m just afraid i’d feel left out.</p>

<p>If you dont participate in things… of course you are going to feel left out. You cant go to UofH to not feel left out of things at A&M, that just sounds silly. You may surprise yourself and enjoy being a part things. Not necessarly the dancing… thing, but other things. There are all kinds of clubs and organizations to join. Surely out of 800 clubs you can find something you would really enjoy and be involved that way.
Again, you may surprise yourself in college -</p>

<p>what do you enjoy?
what is your major going to be?</p>

<p>idk, I would strongly suggest you make a campus visit to both schools during the weekday while both schools are in session. You will get a better feel of both campuses that way. Talk to admissions, your potential department/major and go to where the students are hanging out and talk to them. Pose the questions you asked us to the students. Get their take on campus life. </p>

<p>UofH is for the most part a commuter school. People take classes and then leave to work or go home. You are not going to find the campus feel there like you will at A&M. At UofH you will probably need to join some club, and or greek in order to really meet people. Whereas at A&M, every one is so friendly. Most people live on campus or in the Bryan/College Station area. There is more of a campus life since A&M is located in a college town whereas UofH is in a big city that is not in the best of areas.<br>
A&M also has a better reputation academically. UofH is a good school.</p>

<p>As far as traditions, this is part of the appeal to A&M and this is what separates it from other universities. It is part of the history as well as the culture. It is hard not to get caught up in it however, there are those that do not participate. They are there for the academics and that is fine. </p>

<p>As far as the video you saw, not everyone participated in that. With over 50,000 students, there is something for everyone at A&M. </p>

<p>Also, once you graduate from A&M, there is a strong former student association. Where ever life and your job takes you, and if another Aggie is there in that location (even the most remote countries) you will always have a friend. </p>

<p>Good Luck with your decision on where to go.</p>

<p>i’ve visited both campuses and i like that UH is more businesslike and all people do is study etc, but i like how A&M is happier and friendlier. and i plan on majoring in computer science, and i think UH might be better for this because i can get more internships…i think.</p>

<p>Sounds like you should call both schools’ Computer Science department and pose the internship question to them. You are going to have to decide which is more important to you, a friendlier campus or a commuter school as well as, better academics/reputation or a business-like school.</p>

<p>There are many great schools in Texas. It is good to visit them to get the “feel” of the campus. I am from the Houston area. My view of UH is that it is a commuter school. The reason it seems like all business is because it is a school in the middle of a big town. Even though some students live on campus, many of the students commute to the school from their home.</p>

<p>Texas A&M is a school that makes up the town. It is a great college town. There will be many people living around you whether you live on or off campus that have the same mind set as you. You don’t have to go to football games to love the school. There are many opportunities for students. You just have to find out what you like to do.</p>

<p>Good luck in with your decision.</p>

<p>IMO, you’re shortchanging yourself if all you ever plan to do in college is study. Even if you aren’t naturally an extrovert, and the idea of going to a party and drinking/dancing/whatever sounds unappealing, you should still try and find people with similar interests and socialize with them (and preferably not people who just want to play videogames when they get done studying). Part of advancing in your career is being able to make friends with the right people and play politics, its not all about who’s the hardest worker.</p>