Should I go to UC Riverside or UC Santa Barbara?

I’m at a CCC right now which has TAG with several UCs and these are the two I’m considering.

I want to become a marketing manager. So if I went to SB I would double major in comms and global studies (couldn’t tell from the website whether you minor in it instead. Maybe someone could answer that too?). If I wentto UCR I would major in business admin and minor in global studies.

Iwas also considering UC Irvine but they don’t have TAG for business majors and I was wondering if there was any way around that…

So pretty much what I’m asking is what’s more related to the field I’m pursuing. Also anything extra you want to add about the schools will be helpful.

Go to UCSB.

Definitely UCSB

Is this even a question? UCSB.

Well, I mean UCSB is the better school in most areas but UCR is still a good school. It really just depends on what you think you would prefer–do you want a more urban environment? Or do you want to be in a smaller beach town? There are many things to consider besides your major, so I think it would be best to research them a little bit more and decide where you can see yourself best. (If it were me though, I’d pick UCSB).

I’m just concerned over where a major in comms will get me vs a degree in business admin. Obviously SB has a better name (and i like the environment) but Riverside’s major seems more related to my field. My number one concern is getting a job.

At UCSB, you could add on an undergrad certificate in Technology Management. See http://www.tmp.ucsb.edu/certificate-programs – it’s a cool program.

UCR does have a good business school (1 of the 3 UC’s with an undergrad bus. school). UCSB is more prestigious. Find out which companies recruit for your major on campus at UCR and UCSB and how many students have they hired in the past couple of years.

Is that part of UCSBs extension thing? What is that?

I also saw they had a thing for marketing

I don’t know why so many responses are saying “UCSB, obviously”. You might be interested in marketing now, but low salaries/prospects may throw you later. Plus, many of my marketing friends got their foot in the door by being multitalented, generally either through design or accounting skills. You won’t generally won’t learn these through a communications major.

Consider what minors you can do to boost your credentials at UCSB. Look critically at UCR’s curriculum and figure out how many technical skills you’ll pick up (programming, accounting, etc.). Check out what companies recruit from either campus and major (lots of companies may visit the campus, but they may not be interested in most students).

You may want to consider the potential advantages of being a slightly bigger fish in the UCRiverside pond than you would be at UCSB. As @UCBUSCalum suggested, contact the schools and find out what companies recruit there. Also, would one school provide better internships and/or faculty recommendations for your field?

http://www.news.ucsb.edu/2016/016416/beyond-business-school-model