Skipped math course [2nd semester algebra 2] but didnt finish [now taking precalculus]

Here’s the deal:
I’m a junior & during my sophomore year while I was taking geometry I decided I wanted to skip Algebra 2. I negociated it with my counselor and started taking Algebra 2 through BYU Independent study. I finished the first half and submitted the transcript for “Algebra 2 part 1” and was put in precalc for junior year, however I wasn’t able to finish part 2 before junior year began.

I have an A+ in Precalculus right now so the concepts are not an issue, and my counselor has not contacted me asking for the second transcript. I’m still going to try to finish the second part before the semester ends (week of Christmas)

My question is, will me completing this course late have any effect on my highschool credits or even cause issues with my transcript when applying to colleges?

I’m sorry that I don’t know much about this, I’m aware that this type of thing may vary by school but if anybody can share their experience I would appreciate it a lot,
Thank you!

Ask your school counselor!

1 Like

My suspicion is your GC doesn’t realize BYU algebra 2 was divided into 2 classes with two grades, part 1 and part2. Most college Algebra (which equals Algebra 2 in HS) is taught in 1 semester and awards one grade. In the grand scheme of things, as long as you get to Calculus which sounds like you will and have at least 3 years of math, you should be fine.

1 Like

My daughter had a very similar situation, except that Geometry was the class she skipped, enrolled in with BYU, and finished only the first half.

At the time, her counselor told us that we had nothing to worry about high school wise. But we’re in California and the UC’s require Geometry, so the need to complete the course if she decided to attend a UC was hanging over her. She ended up going to a private LAC and bailing out on finishing Geometry Part II, but she did have to contact the college and make sure they were okay with her dropping the long-extended class.

All of which is to say, you have to scope this out from the point of view of the colleges you’re applying to, as well as your high school. Some institutions are more flexible than others.

1 Like

The actual verbiage is found is: * UC-approved high school courses Three years of college-preparatory mathematics that include the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry. A geometry course or an integrated math course with a sufficient amount of geometry content must be completed.

I think the key is Three Years.

I’m sure college is aware you need to know Geometry and Algebra to make it to Calculus.

1 Like

I think it is in your best interest to complete the course.

I do not expect the timing will matter significantly as long as it is on your transcript. Students from different schools take different math classes at different times, in different years, with different class titles attached to them.

Schools are most concerned with whether you took a sufficient number of math classes and took the most rigorous classes available for students on your math track by the time you graduate.

I am no expert, but I imagine there is less risk to you if the remainder of the algebra class appears on your transcript “late,” than if it does not show up at all.

1 Like

Thank you everybody for the advice!

True, but UC validation policy is that omission of geometry cannot be validated by completing higher level courses like precalculus or calculus, unlike omission of algebra 1 or algebra 2. See the top of page 2 of https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/_files/documents/csu-uc-a-g-comparison-matrix.pdf .

However, the OP:

• has not indicated intent to apply to a UC.
  • is missing the second half of algebra 2 (not geometry), which, for UC purposes, can be validated by completing precalculus or calculus.

But if the OP intends to apply to non-UC colleges which have hard requirements (as opposed to recommendations) for algebra 2 for frosh applicants, the OP needs to check with those colleges’ policies on completion of higher level courses in lieu of the missing part of algebra 2.

2 Likes

I do intend to apply to UC’s, so that is reassuring to hear. More likely than not I will spend two years at community college anyways so I don’t think it is so much of a concern but this information is still very helpful, thank you!