Slight Honor College requirements change

<p>Per email from the honor’s college:</p>

<p>Honors College Students, As the Honors College continues to reassess our policies to best serve your needs, the following policy will be changing: Effective starting with the May 2014 graduating class, the Honors Seminar requirement will now be known as the Honors Foundation requirement. The Honors Foundation requirement will include all UH courses, rather than only UH 100-300 level coursework. The corresponding change to the graduation requirements will be that all students are required to earn at least eighteen hours of Honors credit, including at least six hours of Honors Foundation courses, and graduate with an overall GPA of at least 3.3. The change reflects our awareness that there are multiple aspects that serve as the foundation of an Honors experience beyond seminar courses and allows all Honors students to pursue independent studies (UH 400), leadership experiences (UH 405), and thesis research (UH 498/499) while still fulfilling the core Honors requirement. However, effective during registration for Fall 2014, all of the UH 400+ courses will have prerequisites of lower level UH coursework. UH 400, UH 498, and UH 499 will require 3 hours of any UH courses at the 100, 200, or 300 level, and UH 405 will require 2 hours of any UH courses at the 100, 200, or 300 level. As the registration cycle begins for the summer and fall semesters, there is a potentiality that the courses you still need to take to complete the Honors College Requirements are no longer the same. The change has already been implemented in DegreeWorks, so we strongly recommend that you evaluate your DegreeWorks and speak with your major advisor if you are unsure as to the impact of the policy change for your individual situation. If you have any questions, please feel free to email <a href=“mailto:honors@ua.edu”>honors@ua.edu</a> or call 205-348-5500.</p>

<ul>
<li> Although a minor change, it is very helpful for my S who is now enrolled in UH 400 for the 2nd time. Degree works now shows that his UH courses have been completed and he can finish his additional honor’s requirements via honor’s by contract or taking 500 level courses instead of trying to squeeze another UH course into his schedule.</li>
</ul>

<p>This is a very welcome change. It will be a lot easier for students to take 6 credit hours of any UH course, IHP 105/155 included, and complete the other 12 credit hours via a combination of those courses, honors by contract, departmental honors courses, and graduate courses.</p>

<p>I’m confused. Which classes qualify for the 6 credits needed for Honors Foundation? </p>

<p><a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/all-courses/”>http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/all-courses/&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>This shows well over 100 courses with the attribute of UH. Yet only some of those are categorized under Sub (subject?) of UH.</p>

<p>For Honors Foundation, do I need to look at the “Sub” UH, or do all classes with an “Attribute” of UH count?</p>

<p>This is for my son who has been accepted for fall of 2015.</p>

<p>Looks like any course that is under the Honors College now counts towards the 6 credits, right? So, anything with UH in front, as well as that IHP 155/105 class (which, BTW…my son LOVED!)</p>

<p>My understanding is the same as @mom2collegekids. </p>

<p>My son will have completed all Honors requirements by the end of this semester (his 3rd on campus). He will have over the number of courses required because of the UH 400 courses.</p>

<p>Let me clarify – 6 credits MUST come from “Sub” UH. “Sub” UH is also referred to as Honors Foundations. The remaining 12 only require “Attribute” UH.</p>

<p>There are “Action” courses which are community service that require freshmen to move onto campus early. Outdoor Action, Alabama Action and for Blackbelt Action. These courses I do not see on the list. They are all Pass / Fail 1 credit “Sub” UH and cost an extra fee,</p>

<p>So, if you are looking here ( <a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/departmental/”>http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/departmental/&lt;/a&gt; ) how can you tell which of the UH courses are “Sub” UH?</p>

<p>“Let me clarify – 6 credits MUST come from “Sub” UH. “Sub” UH is also referred to as Honors Foundations. The remaining 12 only require “Attribute” UH.”</p>

<p>Okay, this is what I was thinking. Thank you.</p>

<p>AlbionGirl, I’m not sure you can tell from there. I’ve been using the “All Courses” option to see the Sub vs Attribute.</p>

<p>To double-check everything, my S and I always plugged in intended courses into future semesters of Degree Works to see which satisfied the HC reqs and which didn’t. It took some fiddling to work it all out, and I was somewhat surprised sometimes what DW did, but it is a good way to 98&3/4% see how it might work, often semesters in advance. </p>

<p>Ok, this makes sense to me now.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice.</p>