Smile and nod

Since the prior ‘smile and nod’ thread appears to be closed, I figured that it might be a good idea to start a new one.

What are some of the silly/foolish/ignorant comments that people have said to you or your kiddo about the college application process, where you or your student have applied, where they’ve decided to attend?

I’ll go first.

The other day, I was chatting w/my elderly MIL (she’s 75 & is a little out of touch) about my kids. Told her about the college tours we’re taking D24 (11th grader) on in the next 3 months. I made a comment about D24 coming up with her list of schools to apply to. MIL said, “But I thought D24 had really good grades. What do you mean she won’t get in everywhere?” :slight_smile: Smile and nod. Didn’t have it in me to tell her:

1. my kid’s grades are good, but not stellar. She doesn’t have a 4.0.
  2. even if you have a 4.0 and perfect test scores, that’s no guarantee that you’ll get in everywhere.
  3. it’s no longer 1965 and the college application world works a little differently now.

EDIT: This is a link to the original, now-closed Smile and Nod thread, for those interested.
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/just-smile-and-nod-smile-and-nod

5 Likes

Another “elderly” person here (age 74). Even back in the mid-60s, when your MIL and I were graduating from high school, students didn’t get into every school they applied to. I was a NMF and had very good grades and was denied by my first choice school (not an Ivy; most Ivies weren’t coed at the time). That said, it’s probably been many years since your MIL had much reason to keep up to date on college admissions. I’ve been on College Confidential for the past 10 years, as I have young adult children (adopted) as well as older kids (bio), so I’m a lot more knowledgeable about current college admissions than many my age. I am often surprised that so many parents of college aged kids seem clueless.

8 Likes

In our case, it isn’t so much that FIL is older, it’s that he’s never been to the US. Where he lives, they’ve only ever really heard of a handful of US universities, most notably Harvard. So his first question when D23 was applying was whether she would be attending Harvard. Uh no…But he just doesn’t know anything else about US universities.

2 Likes

How about this:

“Well, if you turn this down, you have turned down your inheritance from me”

Yes…actually stated in those words and yes, we declined the offer she was making. And we just said nothing else…ok…and smiled and nodded.

3 Likes

My nephew doesn’t have the best gpa, but got a 35 act and 1540 sat, my sister was annoyed hearing so many people tell her that obviously he can get in anywhere (so far one acceptance, the rest deferrals or denials). Her ex thought the same, right now he’s frantically sending applications in for his son.

2 Likes

H’s mom and sister are way too involved in sister’s kid’s life. We protected our kids from the family nosiness, much to the in laws’ chagrin. They had no clue about test scores or grades, and we didn’t discuss where the kids applied to college. We don’t discuss their love lives or jobs. MIL & SIL have tried many, many times to get information, but we smile and nod.

5 Likes

Absolutely zero discussion about where kids applied to college…smiled, nodded and said “they are looking forward to letting you know their choice in May”

5 Likes

We got several ignorant comments about our son’s choice of a service academy for college.

From neighbors: After that fancy boarding school, what happened? Did you run out of money?

From the fancy boarding school: He’s turning down (fancycolleges) for the military?

Others:
Will he get to attend college later on the GI Bill?
Did he not get in anywhere else?
Will he have to go to Afghanistan?

I learned to say, “OMG, right? He’ll probably just get himself killed and then all that boarding school money will have gone to waste. Maybe we can get a refund.”

5 Likes

And I posted this one on a similar thread.

From a young lady in her late twenties who works in one of our offices:

Where does your son go to school?

West Point.

Where is that?

New York.

West Point College?

No, It’s the United States Military Academy.

There’s a military academy?

Yes for training officers for the Army.

Is it like a college?

It is a college. He will earn an engineering degree and then he will serve as an officer in the Army.

It doesn’t sound like college. Are you sure?

Maybe not. He likes to fool me.

(God help us.)

6 Likes

One of our kids went to Santa Clara University. I can’t tell you how many people asked “why are you spending so much money to send her to a public university in California?”

Same question about son who went to Boston University…”why are you paying to send him to a public university OOS?”

And for the record…both kids DID apply to public universities out of our state and we would have paid for them if that had been the kid’s choice.

:woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

At a house party when discussions turned to colleges.

Where is your son going?
McGill.
Where’s that? 'Montreal.
Where’s that?
Up north.
Smile and nod. Would be funny if the questioner wasn’t a teacher at the local public high school.

@thumper1 I wonder how many people think that the University of Pennsylvania is a state school?

7 Likes

But I think it’s reasonable to confuse schools that sound like they are public with private and private with public:

Private:
MIT
Florida Tech
Illinois Tech
CalTech

Public:
GaTech
Virginia Tech
Mich Tech

Cornell is an Ivy that is partly public. Rutgers sounds like a private school that is public. NJIT? Public. NYIT? Private. U of Michigan? No one knows

8 Likes

Ok…but the folks who asked me…they were sure they knew the deal. It wasn’t worth it to me to explain. So…I smiled and nodded.

And we live two hours from Boston…it’s not like BU was some random college they never would have heard of.

3 Likes

When my daughter mentioned to a relative that she was applying to BU:
“Oh! I didn’t know you were interested in Jesuit schools”.

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t2:!!

My soccer buddy told me last Sat that he had no idea college was so expensive. One would think with two kids in HS, he might have cared to look up?

3 Likes

Complicating things is if you are at Park Street station on the T in downtown Boston and ask which train to take to get to Boston University you will be told to take the Boston College train.

5 Likes

I would be tempted to just bring up the Army/Navy football game. Maybe then they would get it, and you’d save a minute or two. lol

1 Like

:rofl:

(But so true)

1 Like

Wait. Those aren’t enlisted guys?

1 Like