So..when do students actually leave for winter break?

I just looked at the Fall 2015 calendar and it says final examination is between Dec 7-11. However the winter break is between 12/24~1/3/2016. What happens between these two?

Can students leave earlier than 12/24?

the break between 12/24 and 1/3 is when the UA offices are closed, students can leave as soon as they finish their exams the week of dec 7 - 11

Thanks. I was wondering so that I can plan ahead my flights

This is an unusual winter break in that it will be at least 4 full weeks off for students (normally ‘only’ 3). Here is the academic calendar link: http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/

I just booked some return travel to UA for January 2016 after winter break. I noticed that UA’s shuttle service has some fairly early advance booking requirements (like, 1+ month ahead of the departure date). http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/shuttle.cfm I don’t recall it being that far in advance, in the past.

TIP: Add the shuttle reservation dates to your calendar now, so you don’t forget to book those. :wink:

Just bumping, because us old timers who have used the shuttle service before received an email today explaining a few changes to the shuttle service to/fro B’ham. For a start, the reservations need to be made a lot more in advance, and bookings open September 1st. See the post #4 above for the link to the schedule.

Yes,@aeromom, the change in the shuttle service was posted on the FB page. What day did you pick for return flight. I want to book now, while we have options and they aren’t too expensive. I know DS would probably like to stay home as long as possible, as his friends go back much later than he does. But, I was looking at Jan 11th in case of bad weather. Is that the best way to handle it?

Also, the shuttle service is stating pick up at the travel hub. I know I say that on campus, but can’t find it on the UA maps. ??

Use this link and search for “Campus Drive Parking Deck” - the bus hub is to right outside there (little blue bus symbol): http://tour.ua.edu/map/

The dorms will close Saturday morning following the final exam week and reopen late Saturday before classes start back.

I hope DS remembers to turn in his rented textbooks before leaving campus lol!

Lol, @Nerdyparent! DS rented a book from the Supe store last semester, then returned it to Chegg! He did get a check back from Chegg, but the charge from the Supe store was more for not returning the book. Moral to the story…keep track of which books came from where!

@beadymom lol I had never envisioned that scenario - bless his heart!

To plan for flights, you’d need to know the exam schedule, which is posted online. http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/final-exam-schedules/fall-2015-final-exam-schedule/
It’s pretty straightforward, albeit confusing at first. However, I caution that it might not be accurate. Engr 103 will combine all its classes at all times to be at one time, usually 7-9 one night. che 254 did the same thing last semester. proffessors will know if they are going to do things like this, so feel free to shoot them an email. Some finals will be online and can be completed before Monday of exam week. One of my roommates was able to leave that Monday because her classes had either a project in place of an exam, or it was online. If your exams are finished by Tuesday, you can leave that night or Wed morning. However, I have to caution to study for exams ahead of time, especially when they’re stacked. Last semester I had two exams Tuesday (8am and 7pm) and two exams Friday (8am and 11:30am) I studied for the Tuesday ones Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Took a nap inbetween (sleep is so important in getting a good grade) then I studied for the other two, while sick with strep and a really nasty stomach bug, which, thankfully my mom was there to help, though she did make me go to the SHC and we had to wait for four hours. Thankfully I finished the first exam earlier than expected and had some extra time to review for the last exam.
but I do not suggest anyone ever take exams while sick. Defer them til the next week when youre better.