some questions on campus life

<p>i've never been to the US before and i have no idea what it's like there. i heard that UW is rated #1 party school this year and i'm wondering if everyone goes parties and stuff. personally i've never been clubbing, i don't know what it's like, and i'm not sure if i'll get used to that kind of lifestyle. hope that someone can give me some advice on that.</p>

<p>i also heard that there are lots of asians is that true? (i'm asian) will there be a chance of getting an asian roommate? and...which is the most popular housing? my first 3 choices are Liz Waters, Witte and Ogg.</p>

<p>am asian, and am Chinese. i have the same questions u've asked above.
but Ogg's gonna be torn down in 2007 isnt it?</p>

<p>What's with asian people always wanting to stick together? You have to learn to live with all races of people, not just those who you are most comfortable with.</p>

<p>i want a non-international roommate (i'm international). that's a big reason for me gg to the u.s, to meet people really different. just a bit worried tt my roommate may not want the same</p>

<p>UW-Madison is a very large campus with at least 24,000 undergrads. There are students from all over the world and having toured the campus today I can tell you that there are a fair number of Asian students. Ogg should not be your first dorm choice. (When I was a student many years ago and Ogg was new, it was not well regarded back then) It is set to be torn down after next year. Sellery or Witte are the other two Southeast dorms and they are opening a new one next fall, Smyth. If you want that part of campus go with those three first. They are all decent dorms. Liz Waters will be coed next year and is in a great location on the lake and near the center of the campus.</p>

<p>Ogg is my third choice. I hope i get Liz Waters or Witte!</p>

<p>i have another question: are the beds bunk beds?</p>

<p>depends on your room set up...some are, some aren't</p>

<p>goalsforways, when were you a student? Wasn't ogg built in the 60's?</p>

<p>I was a student at UW in the late 60's to mid 70's for undergrad and post grad studies. It was great then and has only improved. My child has been admitted for the class of 2010 and is in the final stages of deciding between UW and a two other schools out east. Ogg was not well liked when it was new and that has not changed from all reports I have received. Sellery, Witte and the new SE dorm (Smyth) are all great choices, particularly with the Kohl Center and the SERF facility all close by. Liz Waters is great as well due to the campus location, view of the lake and size of some of the rooms. Lake Shore Dorms are a bit of a trek and far from State Street, the Memorial Union and library mall area. However, they are in a beautiful setting and on the Lake. Plus there is another athletic facility right near the Lake Shore dorms that is similar to the SERF facility for the SE dorms. My child has friends who are freshmen this year and they all absolutely love UW. Some stay in the public dorms and some are in private dorms. Interestingly, the ones in the private dorms wish they were staying in the SE public dorms (Sellery, Witte, Ogg) I think most students will tell you that Ogg's location more than compensates for its rooms, that it is better to be at Ogg than a Lake Shore Dorm based on the location criteria. But that is my impression.
UW is an outstanding institution, it continues to improve in every way and offers outstanding opportunities no matter what field of study, but I am a biased Badger.</p>

<p>African American: 967<br>
Asian American: 1,863<br>
Native American: 232<br>
Hispanic: 1,069</p>

<p>There about 130 people from HK and 570 from China. 700s from Korea.</p>

<p>How's Kronshage?</p>

<p>A family friend stayed there (like 20 years ago) and he really liked it and urged me to choose it (it was like 6th for me). Depends on what you are looking for...</p>

<p>I think the information book on the halls was too brief.</p>

<p>Im Korean American and an incoming freshman. Coming from a private school that boasts diversity, you should not be the one to stick with other people of similar ethnicity or nationality. At my school Koreans sit with Koreans, Chinese stick with Chinese, etc, and not much integration occurs. Its kind of self depricating for the community. Hopefully I won't have to be included into such groups when I arrive.</p>

<p>The #1 party school title is only partly true...this is a BIG school and different people enjoy different things. I'm sure there are MANY students who have never been to a party here and find other interesting things to do. This is also a very academic school, and people take their studies seriously (sometimes too seriously). There is a big community of asians (and numerous other international groups) here and they are all part of what makes the campus so amazing.</p>