Sorority racism

<p>This CW story would seem to be relevant to this discussion:</p>

<p>[The</a> Crimson White | The Final Barrier: 50 years later, segregation still exists](<a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Breaks my heart!!!</p>

<p>The story in the Alabama paper sounds exactly like what would have been written from my experience nearly 30 years ago in a midwestern private university. The girl was from my hometown and the reason for not bidding her was that she would not get a letter of recommendation from her local alums. This was not generally known, my roommate was on the rush committee and told me. Ironically, I know that the alum liaison was a teacher at the school which both this girl and I had attended, and she would not hesitate to write a recommendation.</p>

<p>Sounds like the current Actives wanted to extend a bid, but the Alums were using the “didn’t have a rec” guideline for not? Not only does that stink, but since this has been exposed, it’s less likely it will happen again due to the negative publicity.</p>

<p>The current Actives should be able to determine who their pledges should be…not us old Alums.</p>

<p>“Our philanthropy chair really wanted her and was rooting for her and left before the parties and everything when she found out [the recruit was dropped],” the Chi Omega member said. “She was living in the house – she just packed up all her stuff and left the house and left rush.”</p>

<p>If this is true, bravo to the young woman for standing up for her beliefs and walking out rather than sitting around shaking her head. Talk is cheap and perpetuates problems. Be the change.</p>

<p>It is heartening that so many women were willing to willing to speak out, even anonymously, for this article. It indeed appears that change will be slower if current chapter members can be overruled by alumnae during selection. I don’t recall any alumnae rush participation at my house 25 years ago, in Virginia.</p>

<p>OP, I hope you don’t mind me using your thread to learn, but I find the differences in the cultures of sororities fascinating. The article alludes to alumni concerns about “popularity”. I’m trying to wrap my head around that. Sure, their were rivalries, not always playful, in college, but why would an alumni care? The National Pan Hell Alumni work together in most communities, and “popularity” doesn’t seem to be an issue.</p>

<p>Excluding people based on color does not make a sorority exclusive. What year is this?</p>

<p>This is an editorialized post on that article: [University</a> of Alabama Sororities Still Won’t Rush Black Women](<a href=“http://jezebel.com/university-of-alabama-sororities-still-wont-rush-black-1294674764]University”>University of Alabama Sororities Still Won't Rush Black Women) </p>

<p>Good on Gotz for being truthful.</p>

<p>Well in light of the recent stories in the media about the black student not being welcome into sororities by UA alumnae, I have decided that the University of Alabama isn’t the school for me. The full ride was a nice plus, but I can find that at schools that have fewer issues with racism. It is a shame that a school that was such a great academic fit for me isn’t going to work out. Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.</p>

<p>^… *alumni</p>

<p>No, it’s alumnae. Plural, female. Alumni is plural and male.</p>

<p>We are reserving our decision to accept or not until the spring. I know folks on here will probably flame be…but I can’t shake the feeling that if not for the overwhelmingly bad press that nothing would have changed. I have a hard time believing that the powers that be had no idea that this blatant racism was occurring. Like it or not, this episode has hurt UA. The very OOS, high stat kids UA is looking to recruit are the same kids who are now reexamining their offers. So, you can light me up if you’d like, but that won’t change the truth.</p>

<p>^^^Bigdaddy88: Of course, you are free to do as you like. However, I don’t see how withholding attendance from the university and missing out on an amazing scholarship and education will benefit your daughter. I can tell you from my personal experience that the University of Alabama is much more than what is described here on this forum.</p>

<p>Attending UA puts students in contact with others from across the fifty states, as well as with international students. If I were a prospective student, I would rather be in a place of change than in a place that has stagnated into a single mindset. The University of Alabama is not perfect but then I cant imagine any one university being perfect. </p>

<p>The fact that they offer amazing scholarships to outstanding students is a just a bonus.</p>

<p>Bigdaddy, I think you’re being short sighted. Remember, we are applauding this change as one that was wanted by the students but stymied by adults. You should feel proud to send your child to a university where the student body is primed for change and where they have backing from the university. Also remember that 70% of students like my D that are not Greek see this as a galvanizing event evidenced in large and small ways this week whether that be the Student Rally on the quad or the suspension of block seating this week at the football game so all students could be united. I applaud and am deeply touched by the results of this week. It is meaningful and significant, and in my opinion NOT a reason to shy away. Roll Tide Roll to everyone in Tuscaloosa this week!</p>

<p>If I had a child who was a senior considering UA I would feel relieved after the latest developments. I find it reassuring that the president of the university has taken such a strong stand and that the sororities are now offering bids to a more diverse group of young women, apparently enthusiastically and without incident. As DAD2ILD says, it’s the alumnae, not the current students, who have their heads stuck in the sand. For all we know the current members have been trying for years to get past this only to be thwarted by racist chapter advisors and other people of influence. </p>

<p>Colleges all over the country have issues with bad behavior among various groups (Greek or other). It’s the response of the administration (and the support among students) that I find most indicative of how things might improve…or not.</p>

<p>It’s been said for years that current sorority members wanted to integrate, but didn’t want to risk alumni donations or the possibility of not having as many activities with fraternities if they were the only sorority to integrate. I’m extremely happy that sorority integration is finally a reality.</p>

<p>UA is not perfect, but the same applies to other schools. The benefit of attending UA is that one is still very much an early settler in what is fast becoming a great school. There are opportunities at UA that are not available at other schools which one might consider “already great.” Over the course of my education at UA, I’ve seen many new programs be planned and created, buildings demolished, remodeled, or built, many national championships, the repeal of many blue laws, a successful end to a labor dispute, controversy over event planning, and countless individual success stories. UA is a busy place where the magic is happening every day and students are given the opportunity to help create a university that they will be proud of.</p>

<p>Yes, there are inherent challenges in being the university student equivalent of an early settler, but there are also great rewards. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Sitting in my hotel room after a long and fun weekend in Tuscaloosa at Parents Weekend at UA. Had an amazing time. Met so many parents and my D’s new friends from all directions across the country. Everyone is so open, friendly and outgoing. My D hit a homerun as one dad put it. I can not imagine her anywhere else that we visited. I am glad my D is at a school that is at a crossroad that has taken the opportunity to change for the better of all. Could not be happier!!!</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>Yes, ROLL TIDE!!!</p>

<p>Honestly the only thing resembling racism about this school is the Greek system, or just the frats at least. The sororities have BEEN trying to intergrate, they have just been afraid because the frats made an example out of Gamma Phi for even daring to bid a black girl back in 2003. It’s been a bottom tier sorority ever since just because of that. Those frats though…ehh a lot of them walk around on campus wearing Romney shirts, as if they want to fight or something >.> The only reason to walk around with that 11 months past the election is to intimidate minorities. The sorority girls are all class though and are nice people once you look past the letters.</p>

<p>PLEASE do not count out UA just because of a few ignorant people in the Greek system, 70 percent of this campus is none Greek . And no BigDaddy I gotta disagree UA is not going to take a hit from this sorority controversy, we’re only going to get bigger(as evidenced by our BOOMING OOS student enrollment, engineering department expansion, increasing minority enrollment). This campus has came a long way from the George Wallace days ROLL TiDE!!!</p>

<p>[desegregation</a> (idea) by robwicks - Everything2.com](<a href=“Nothing Found - Everything2.com”>desegregation (idea) by robwicks - Everything2.com)</p>

<p>Intresting take on segregation, I do believe in their right to freedom of association.</p>