Sorority racism

<p>Fraternities are a whole different world. There are a lot MORE fraternities than sororities, although there are fewer total members of fraternities than sororities. Tiers are pretty rigid among sororities, but are a lot more fluid among fraternities. The recruitment process is way different - the informal rush (they still use “rush”) is more important than the formal rush.</p>

<p>A number of fraternities have had AA members, now and in the past…not all of them, but it’s not unusual. Certain fraternities have never had a black member nor ever bid one, AFAIK. </p>

<p>You’re right - there ought to be companion pieces on the fraternities. But apparently no one person is willing to speak up and put his name out there.</p>

<p>Then again, most of the “stories” are just one statement followed by a cut-and-paste of all the events leading up to it. This, folks, is what happens when you lay off your copy editors and fire your proofreaders.</p>

<p>I think it’s possible that the sorority that welcomed an AA member (just one?) is not talking to the press. Of course that is their right!</p>

<p>Oldmom, please see post #99.</p>

<p>It’s not one student and there have been a number of recent articles. Google is your friend.</p>

<p>riprorin, that doesn’t mean that the bids were accepted. And, although unlikely, it could be that the same student was offered bids from 15 sororities.</p>

<p>As of Saturday, four black students and two students from other minority backgrounds have accepted bids.</p>

<p>Google Alabama and sorority.</p>

<p>As I said before, perhaps the sororities have decided not to speak to the press.</p>

<p>I don’t know if the sororities that accepted minority students spoke to the press or not, but it was reported that the minority students that accepted bids were widely congratulated on social media by sorority members.</p>

<p>What were you expecting?</p>