Sorority Recruitment, Home Town teas and Preview Weekend

<p>So I am now sitting here way too early on a Saturday morning fretting about you guys who are worried about what to wear. I want to stress that you WILL see lots of different attire from great designer dresses to jeans and a shirt. We saw it at our Preview and I am sure busymom3 would tell you she saw it when they went last year. I think the most IMPORTANT thing is that your DD feels comfortable and confident. Since she will have time to visit with members she wants to be relaxed and have good conversations. If she is in uncomfortable in what she has on she will be distracted and the conversations might not flow. If you are worried about the outfit she’s chosen take a second one just for insurance. I actually would pack 2 or 3 just in case…could have a spill or a wardrobe malfunction. I would also suggest that your DD not change who she is just because she is going to preview. Our DD’s each have their own personality and style. She is beginning the search for a sisterhood not only for 4 years but for a lifetime and so she needs to be who “she” is…then her wonderful personality and confidence will shine and she will have a wonderful day!!! As robD said…it is going to be a long day so keep that in mind when choosing shoes and clothing. Ok…I now feel better…need more coffee!!!</p>

<p>My DD always dresses up. She would not feel at her best in jeans…so I am sure it will be a dress for her. We have discussed bending somewhat on the usually very high heel height of her shoes and wearing a moderate close toe pump so that she can wear hose/tights and walk comfortably.</p>

<p>This is where DD would probably wear jeans, cute top and boots…is that a good choice? </p>

<p>I’m assuming that it is fair to say the girls on campus for Preview should expect to be “noticed” at all times throughout the weekend, whether it is at their hotel, a local restaurant, in the Supe or wherever…and dress cute!!!</p>

<p>So will it be okay after all if I wear jeans, but with a nice top and nice shoes? I’d do my hair and make-up and everything, it’s just that I feel more comfortable in jeans, and most of my dresses are too summery.</p>

<p>TxArchitect…yes the outfit you described for check in on Friday evening is fine :). And Yes…there will be sorority women out and about and yes…although it’s not in a creepy way you will be “noticed”. That being said ladies you should be on your best behavior. I’m not sure if “looking cute” 24/7 is important but be mindful of how you act and what you say…the walls have ears. If you are talking about sororities in public you have no idea who is seated around you. I have always told my girls two things…“you look beautiful…act that way” and " If you can’t say anything nice, say nothing at all!".
Sunshine…you should wear what you are comfortable in. If you were my daughter and knowing what I know about Preview and Recruitment at Alabama I would push VERY HARD for a skirt/ top or dress. I think you will see girls in jeans but I also think you will see girls in dresses. Why don’t you take your jeans and cute top (you may need some sort of a sweater or coat) but also pack a dress or skirt just in case.
Lat year the girls started a facebook page called UA rushing 2016…maybe you all want to start one of these so you can see what others are wearing ect. BE CAREFUL!!! I know for a fact that the sororities have been on the class of 2017 Facebook page and I thought they showed me a rushing 2017 page but I can’t find it. They will check and cehk these pages. Last year after Preview girls posted their opinions of sororities on this page…don’t do things like this. While social media is great to make connections and reach out to others remember that any and all that you say and post goes viral!</p>

<p>Hi everyone! I am going to preview day, and I am stressing about what to wear! I asked a Panhellenic officer and she said that it was jeans and a cute shirt, but on here you were all recommending to be a little more dressy! Can you help me please!</p>

<p>It seems this year that Panhellenic is encouraging girls to be more casual. You will see all kinds of dress but I would be very surprised to see lots of girls in jeans. I am pretty sure that Panhellenic would expect colored or patterned ones. You might see girls is skinny jeans a blazer, cute jewelry and ballet flats or riding boots. If it were my daughter I would suggest a casual skirt and top or dress. I would also prepare a warm weather outfit and a cold weather outfit…just to be safe.</p>

<p>Ahpimommy: Is it absolutely necessary to attend preview weekend? We live out of state and travel is just a bear. My D will have multiple recs to most houses as formal recruitment begins and is a legacy (as are probably half of PNM’s). I just didn’t think much of attending until I starting reading this thread - now I’m curious. I’ve heard from recent alumni it’s typically more important for ALA girls and the ones from the bigger southern cities?</p>

<p>I tell all OOS PNMs that if it is possible they should go to Preview. I think it’s important for OOS girls and their families to see and hear what recruitment is all about.
Yes…we will have lots of legacies. Last year several chapters had enough to fill 2 pledge classes. As you probably know, being a legacy does not guarantee a bid but should at least get a courtesy invite back to Philanthropy rounds. As far as legacies go I know my chapter encourages it’s members to let a legacy go early if they know that they are not going to bid her. Know that if a legacy is invited to Preference they she has to be on a chapters first list and they should offer her a bid.
I would disagree that Preview is more important for the Alabama girls and the ones from big southern cities. They understand how recruitment works at Alabama and many are already on the different sororities radars through high school, hometown, church, friends and friends of friends or were members of their high school sororities that feed into the ones at Alabama. Many of these girls have been down multiple times for football Saturdays and tailgates. While in town for the Ole Miss game we tailgated with some friends from a suburb in Birmingham. There were probably 20 girls at the tailgate, all high school seniors who were planning on going through recruitment. We saw several at some of the sorority and fraternity houses for game day meals. It’s my opinion that the local Alabama girls and those from the surrounding areas (Nashville, Atalanta, Memphis, even Texas in some cases) have a lot of connections with in the different houses. I think even more importantly this year is the new structure of house tours. With the additional time in each house the members will have a chance to interact and get to know the girls. Talking with a regional adviser for one of the sororities on campus she equated it with Ice Water teas. As far as I know there won’t be any MSS but impressions will be made. In addition if you weren’t on the radar before and attend hopefully it will get you noticed and perhaps invited back for the March 16th invite events…also helpful. Now I will tell you that are girls who do not go to Preview and do not attend the invite events and DO get bids. It’s just my opinion but I think it’s an important and worthwhile trip.</p>

<p>MSS? I don’t know what this is…</p>

<p>It’s the membership selection process…</p>

<p>Ahhhhhh. </p>

<p>So everything will be “informal”</p>

<p>What will dress code be for the March 16th parties?</p>

<p>Also, any suggestions on where parents can hang out while waiting for the girls?</p>

<p>The invitations have been stating “informal”…that being said I think yo will see a lot of dresses and skirts and tops…at a minimum I would say colored or patterned jeans (these are in style right now). If it were my daughter I would encourage her to wear something she is comfortable in and I would probably suggest a casual dress or skirt and top, For example Theta’s party is “mocktails”…that implies a dress. It is better to dress up than dress down. Seems from what I have read some girls really dressed down to Preview. Think cute and classy. Remember some of you are going from party to party in a 3 hour time frame…wear comfortable shoes…you will be on your feet for a while. Also NO WHITE JEANS OR PANTS…not until after Easter.
Are all the parties on the “row”…in the past they were at various and assorted places around town that required driving. It has sounded like that is not the case this year. The Ferg has a large lounge area…it will have wifi (pretty sure the Strabucks won’t be open for the whole time). You could go down to the strip and get something to eat…if your DD is actually just walking from house to house and in some cases might be busy for 3 hours then there is always just shopping at Mid Town, there’s a Panera there…</p>

<p>Thank you so much.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if sorority no contact rules apply the weekend of the invite only parties? I’m sending my OOS daughter solo for the weekend and need a place for her to stay. Can she stay with a friends sister who is in a sorority but lives off campus?</p>

<p>i think that would probably go against the no-contact rules.</p>

<p>Quick roll call? Who’s going back? We’re in and DD (and I) would love to meet up with the CC girls again!</p>

<p>We’ll be heading back, too.</p>