Stamps/Singer Weekends

<p>Last year the acceptances and Presidential scholarship amounts came out about 5 days BEFORE the Stamps/Singer invites. Guessing since the acceptances are later this year they had to let the Stamps invitees know now to allow for travel planning.</p>

<p>My S was invited to Stamps/Singer last week. I know I have to pay for airfare but are all expenses paid once you arrive on campus? Do they stay in dorms? Food included, etc?</p>

<p>You have to cover your other expenses (lodging, food, transport). They do have various activities planned. There is a dinner on the Friday night for all attendees and I believe lunch might be covered for the student on Sat.
It might be possible for your son to stay in a dorm but he’d have to find someone on his own. </p>

<p>I emailed them asking if they offered any assistance to offset travel/lodging costs, and they said no, but they may be able to arrange a Skype/phone interview. I believe we stay in hotels and pay for everything ourselves, except for the scholarship dinner, but I could be wrong, of course.</p>

<p>I’d look at it this way if you don’t know yet whether you want to go to UMiami and have never visited then I would find a way to go for and hear what the top educators at the school have to say and the 1 in 4 chance of getting a full scholarship ($160000+) !
If you have 3 scholarships already for 3 other great schools and UMiami is just a curiosity then I guess you could see it as a hassle. The weekend is designed to find the best of the best of the accepted students and do everything to get them to be a part of the U. It’s simple, if you have been invited to the S/S weekend then the U wants you to be a part of their class of 2018. It’s not often in life’s you get 1:4 odds of getting a full scholarship too</p>

<p>@rundancelove Clearly financial situation takes precedent but if you are able to make it down for the weekend I would highly recommend it. As someone who went last year, the experience was well worth the trip for me and allowed me to make the decision to come to UM. Apart from the singer/stamps interview, visiting during the weekend gave me a lot of insight about the school and the types of people I would be around as a freshman. It provided an opportunity to talk with the Vice Provost, Dr. Green, who was able to answer some of my questions about classes next fall and the foote fellow program. I was also able to meet up with a student in the program of study I was interested in and ask him questions about studying at Miami. It was these events that made the weekend such a valuable experience to have when it came time to make my decision. </p>

<p>Side note, I personally believe the chance of becoming a Foote Fellow is worth the travel costs of attending the weekend. It’s helped me so much in my college career, and I truly believe it’s one of the things that makes Miami unique.</p>

<p>Has anyone else had trouble RSVPing for the Stamp/Singer weekend? The system hasn’t let me submit it :frowning: </p>

<p>I agree with Marinebio regarding the Foote Fellows program. I actually had an account on CC that I used on the 2012 Singer/Stamps thread but I forgot the password so I had to make a new one :/</p>

<p>Even as an engineering major, Foote Fellows has helped me quite a bit. I haven’t had to take any required electives and it’s really given me a chance to either take a few courses I’d want to take, or just stay at 13-14 credits (which I really like, since most engineering classes are time consuming). Foote Fellows + the scholarship chance makes it worth the trip, IMO. </p>

<p>Regarding food, all participants and parents receive dinner on Friday night and lunch on Saturday. I’ll probably volunteer for one of the weekends, so I look forward to meeting any prospective engineering students out there :)</p>

<p>grizzly32 My daughter is having trouble RSVPing for the weekend as well. :(</p>

<p>Hmmm. Both my D’s were able to confirm. </p>

<p>@cooper1025 @3tallblonds what time did your daughters RSVP (or attempt to) if you don’t mind me asking?</p>

<p>So @3tallblonds, both your daughters were accepted? Congrats!! if you don’t mind what Presidential Scholarships did they get and what are their stats. Thanks</p>

<p>By the time son got home from practice and ate dinner, he was also locked out. UM’s computer systems leave much to be desired.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if there’s still a chance to go to the weekend? Or are we just out of luck?</p>

<p>I am thinking about 6:20. We’ve had a major ice storm in the mid-atlantic and are currently without power! Hoping that this is just a glitch. Seems crazy to have something so important be determined by our lack of internet service during an icestorm. :(</p>

<p>Daughter submitted right at 5:00 pm. The notification email stated that RSVP’s would not be accepted after spaces were filled. That suggests they sent more invites than available spaces. Any idea’s how many more? I don’t understand that as the other scholarship invite she had didn’t operate this way. She didn’t have to compete to submit an RSVP.</p>

<p>If you could not RSVP for this weekend, does that mean you’re out of consideration for the Stamps?</p>

<p>We rsvp’d at 5:30ish. Just call admissions and explain. I’m sure it’s np. @biocellat, My girls have act- 36, 34, sat2- math 2 & chem both 800 for both girls, top 1% of class, 9 APs w 5’s for the 5 already taken. They got the same scholarship others are getting in the $20’s.</p>

<p>3tallblonds,</p>

<p>A little OT but there were two sets of twins last year at the Stamps/Singer weekend.</p>

<p>Wow ! great @3tallblonds you must be very proud. Good luck at the S/S weekends. Many of of us here went through it last year or the year before with our children so if you need advice on logistics, where to stay (and not stay) just shout.</p>