Stamps/ Singer/ Weeks Scholarships

Hi everyone! I got an email saying that I have been nominated for the Stamps Leadership Scholarship, the Isaac Bashevis Singer Scholarship, and the Marta S. and L. Austin Weeks Endowed Scholarship, all of which cover full tuition. Stamps covers tuition in addition to room and board, plus a $12,000 stipend.

In order to be considered, I’d have to attend a special scholarship weekend at UM on one of three weekends: February 24-25, March 3-4, or March 24-25. The Feb. 24-25 date is required for Stamps, but I already have another trip planned. I could cancel it, but I think I might be better off going to one of the other weekends because Stamps is so selective.

I just am wondering a few things-- does anyone know how many students go to the Stamps weekend vs. how many are offered the scholarship? Also, does anyone similarly know how competitive Singer and Weeks are? Is it worth it for me to cancel my other trip in order to be considered for Stamps, or should I just go to one of the other two? Also, if I am offered a scholarship, is the May 1st deadline still intact or must I commit earlier?

Thanks so much. I’d love to hear from some people who have been to the weekend before or who have received one of these scholarships.

hey! i got the email too. I’m going march 24-25…would guess it is still may 1 in general

i talked to my friends who got in last year and they said the email is def a good sign and a good opportunity (pretty much means we def got in…) i also cant go the feb weekend because i have a history bowl tournament lol. also i live in south florida so its not really a bop away for me

I also got the email! I’ll be going the feb weekend though…
I think you shouldn’t skip your other trip if you think your chances are better for that one than the stamps, and just come for one of the march weekends at UM

I also am super curious about the #s

Hey do u guys mind posting Ur stats @rm17hobi and @fl0119 and anyone else who got the email? also what is the first letter of ur last name? (maybe they are releasing the decision/invite by alphabetical order)

@krakenhead7
my last name starts w/ a P

unweighted GPA: 4.19; weighted GPA: 4.54
ACT: 34
All honors Classes and 14 APs
Extra Curriculars: heavy involvement in the classics (clubs and competitions), science olympiad, large commitment to volunteering/community service, internship at a prestigious research institute, math competitions, varsity athlete for 4 years, quizbowl
i applied as a biochem major

As soon as you guys get your acceptance, have your parents join the FB “University of Miami Cool Parent Group”. My parents found it to be very informational, and people bend over backwards to give out advise to new students’ parents. Plenty of scholarship parents there. Yes, it is very competitive.

Does anyone know how to send the additional Stamps essay?

I was invited as well, I’ll be there during the February weekend. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys, go Canes!

@wannabeBlueDevil
I found this on the web.
WEEKEND TIPS AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here are some helpful tips as you prepare for the Stamps Scholarship Weekend:

The interview process- During the weekend, you will be interviewed one-on-one by a faculty member from your area of interest and a current student. The interview is not a formal business interview, so think of it more as an opportunity to share more about yourself and get questions answered. Visit our Toppel Career Center website for some advice on strengthening your interviewing skills.

Should I bring something to my interview? Students are not required to bring any materials or a resume for the interview itself. However, you’re welcome to bring to your interview any information you think will help illustrate to our faculty that you are a strong candidate for this scholarship. Be mindful that while the focus of awarding this scholarship will be on your academic record, extracurricular activities and achievements will be contributing factors in this decision.

What is the attire for the weekend? “Nice Casual”: we suggest you wear comfortable attire such as (but not limited to) khakis and/or polo shirts. We advise that you not wear denim or t-shirts. You should be dressed appropriately for your interview, but we also want you to be comfortable as you move around the campus throughout the day. Suits are not necessary or expected of participants.
Stamps Scholarships awarded - The Stamps Scholarship is our highest merit scholarship awarded and went into effect last year. Candidates will be interviewed during the weekend program, and from this interview process the University of Miami will nominate 7-10 finalists. The Stamps Scholarship finalists will participate in a second round of interviews where scholarship recipients will be approved by the founder of the award. In 2011, approximately 120 students interviewed for the Stamps Scholarship; 7 students were selected as finalists. From these finalists, 5 students were selected as Stamps Scholarship recipients.

Singer Scholarships awarded – In 2011, close to 350 students participated in interviews for the Singer Scholarship award. From these candidates, 67 were selected as Singer Scholarship recipients. Students are usually notified 2 weeks after the program.

Receiving full consideration for the scholarship - Students are expected to attend all scheduled activities during the weekend; it is not possible for a student to simply attend the scheduled interview portion of the weekend.
Other Activities in the area - Looking for other weekend activities to maximize your visit to South Florida? Check out our UM Plan Your Visit website at www.miami.edu/planyourvisit to make your visit to South Florida a memorable one.

@Pannaga Thank you so much! Very helpful!

My son received the same email today (invite foer the scholarship interviews). We are from Northeast part of US, and so the OOS Air + hotel add up. Was evaluating the probability. 120 invited to 7 selected to finally 5!!. For a college of this size to give ONLY 5 full ride scholarships.

What is the first letter of your son’s last name?

For those of you who are attending, are you going by yourself or with your parents?

I have decided to go for the February weekend in order to be considered for Stamps. I am very excited about this opportunity! It just stinks that we were only given one week’s notice to write the essays and I have mid-terms this week.

@jennifero5 My parents will be coming.

Just wanted to wish you all good luck at the scholarship weekends. My daughter was a lucky recipient of the Stamps Scholarship the first year Miami offered it. It is an incredible program. She has graduated, but I always come back on CC around this time of year to wish upcoming candidates good luck.

@wannabeBlueDevil Awesome! I’m going alone, so I wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat.

@jennifero5

1. Since Feb 24/25 weekend is mandatory for ‘Stamps’ scholarship, what if the student wants to be considered for oter two scholarships also? (Singer Scholarship, and the Marta S. and L. Austin Weeks). Does he have to visit another weekend?. (we are from OOS and have to flyin). 2. Would u think the committe will (based on their decision), send their recommendation for one or more scholarship committee’s?. I tried calling the offcie of Admn and got a VM (looks only one person there can answer).
1 Like

My daughter received an email today stating that the Stamps weekend in February is already full!