Stamps/Singer Weekends

<p>Does anyone know when the Stamps/Singer weekends are this year? Invitations should be going out next week!</p>

<p>Singer/Stamps will be the weekend of March 1, Singer 1 will be the weekend of March 22, and Singer 2 will be the weekend of April 5</p>

<p>Thanks for the info Marinebio444! I don’t suppose you know when the invitations will be going out?</p>

<p>Unfortunately I don’t… I will be volunteering for the weekends, so that’s how I know when they are, but I do know that the invitation came via email before the decisions came in the mail when I was applying a couple years ago, so it shouldn’t be too far!</p>

<p>I just got the e-mail! Does any1 know what percent of people who actually go to interview get the scholarship? Are there any other threads about this? </p>

<p>Yes, do a search. I posted on this with others that went through it last year just a few months ago. Also Marinebio444, debra19, seekinguni and illinoismom93 are are a huge source of accurate info
We’re you invited to first weekend? Did it say Stamps or Singer?</p>

<p>My S got the Stamps/Singer email!</p>

<p>actstudent, my understanding from what I’ve read here from last year is that about 350 students interview. About 150 are at the Stamps/Singer weekend. Ten of them are asked to continue to a second interview for Stamps. As for the rest, those plus the other approximately 200 students compete for about 65 or 70 Singer scholarships.</p>

<p>If anyone has any different information, please let me know.</p>

<p>correct. And this is all done over the 3 weekends (see dates from marinebio44 above) with Stamps recipients being selected from the 1st weekend. RD applicants are all invited to last weekend. ED/EA applicants invited to the first 2 weekends. If you don’t go to one of the weekends, you don’t interview and you DON’T get considered for Stamps/Singer.</p>

<p>I was invited for stamps/singer! Needless to say I’m thrilled!</p>

<p>Also, I was asked for both scholarships but I also have another scholarship interview that got back to me earlier that weekend. If I don’t go to the February 28- March 1 weekend, can I not get the Stamps?</p>

<p>actstudent, that is my understanding. I’d contact admissions right away.</p>

<p>I got a singer invite. Out of curiosity, is this invitation really selective, lol I feel like I want to believe it is but in reality it is not</p>

<p>Is it safe to assume that no email by now means no invite. Kind of was hoping to get it since my friend with similar stats did, oh well. </p>

<p>Idkhur, it is extremely selective. 350 students receive invites to a weekend out of roughly 30,000 applications. That works out to a little higher than the top 1% of incoming applicants.
Thecreator96, they may have them rolling out, but my guess is that if you haven’t received an email by now you most likely won’t :/</p>

<p>@Marinebio444 make sure to keep us updated on information that you are given in advance of the weekend. It would be good to know if this year’s numbers are the same as last year in terms of how much competition there is and whether you get anything for just interviewing.</p>

<p>Congrats to everyone who got invited to the weekend. It is a great chance to see UM and for me, it was that weekend that made my decision to come to UM. Make sure to take advantage of the weekend! Meet with current students or faculty form your intended majors. Go on a tour and eat in the dining halls to get a taste for what life at UM is really like. Good luck to you all! </p>

<p>Another question… does anyone know if this is the only way to get scholarship $$ (other than NMF $$)? For example, there are Presidential scholarships too; when are those given? The cost to travel for my 2 and me is not going to be insignificant so I’ll need to weigh cost/potential benefit.</p>

<p>Those kinds of scholarships are given at the time that they sent the admission decision so you should have those very soon.</p>

<p>actstudent</p>

<p>You definitely have to go to the first weekend to be eligible for the Stamps. You could call and change to a Singer only weekend if necessary but then the Stamps scholarship would not be a possibility.</p>

<p>Last year Stamps/Singer was the same weekend as the McNair at South Carolina so one had to make decision to try for one or the other but not both.</p>

<p>3tallblonds,
Presidential scholarships are given out when you hear of your acceptance and as far as i know can range from $15,000 to $28,000/year. In addition Singer invites tend to get a Gables Scholarship of 4k but I don’t know if that was for all Singer invites or just some. Also not clear if they will do that again this year.</p>